Become A Roll Model
With your help, we'll work together to encourage more women to get out and bike.
- The Women & Bicycles Program Philosophy -
in 2012 WABA designed the Women & Bicycles program to create opportunities for helpful exchanges between two different groups: women who already bicycle and women who are interested in bicycling. We host an online forum, and monthly workshops,
rides, socials, and meetups to encourage skillsharing and community-based guidance.
- The Role Of Roll Models -
Roll Models are official program mentors. These women help achieve our program's mission by bringing new women into the bike movement by bringing them into the Women & Bicycles community, and by serving as personal mentors. We see mentors as helpful and crucial personal relationships that provide the encouragement and information that is often necessary for people looking to give everyday biking a try.
- How To Be A Roll Model -
1. BE AN EXPERT OF YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE. You don’t need to know everything there is to know about biking—far from it! You only need to have incorporated bicycling into your life as a form of transportation, and a desire to share what you learned along the way with women in your life.
2. ATTEND A ROLL MODEL ORIENTATION. Orientations take place once a month at the WABA office. We will work through what it means to be a Roll Model, set expectations, and answer your questions. And we'll have snacks.
3. RECRUIT YOUR PROTEGES. Call upon women in your social circles to be your biking proteges and participate in the program to learn more about bicycling. As a Roll Model, you’ll be a mentor to this group of women you already know—friends, family members, coworkers, book-club members, neighbors, etc.
4. COORDINATE ONE MEETUP. This will be a private event specifically for you and your proteges. You’ll work with our coordinator to choose a setting in which you feel comfortable to share a meal and host a round table discussion. We provide all of the content and educational materials and Chipotle, our program sponsor will provide the delicious meal!
5. FOLLOW-UP AS A MENTOR. Your proteges' goals and next steps will all vary. It's up to you to determine how to follow-up and make sure they've got what they need to reach their goals. You will probably have to go on bike rides together, convoy to work, visit a local bike shop, check in to hear about progress, and celebrate their successes!
6. BRING YOUR PROTEGES INTO THE FOLD. Invite them to the Women & Bicycles Facebook forum, attend our workshops and rides together, keep encouraging them to take those next steps, and get them so hooked on biking that they eventually become a Roll Model.
- Please click "continue" below to fill out our Roll Model form -