Glen Ridge History Quiz #2
Glen Ridge Public Library, the Glen Ridge Historical Society & the Glen Ridge Recreation Department have joined together to bring you a weekly opportunity to learn some Glen Ridge history while sheltering in place.
Search for quiz clues on the websites of:
Glen Ridge Public Library -
Glen Ridge Historical Society -
Glen Ridge Borough -
Glen Ridge Wikipedia page
THE QUIZ BEGINS AFTER THIS HISTORIC 1918 SPANISH INFLUENZA POSTER
The Borough was originally referred to as the “Ridgewood” section of Bloomfield until 1883 when the name was changed to “Glen Ridge”. Why was the name changed:
Mr. Ridgewood had a falling out with the community and moved away, taking the name with him.
The US Postal Service required the name change when it opened a post office in the railroad station.
The prominent Ridge and Glen families financed many public improvements, and the community wanted to acknowledge their contributions in perpetuity.
The school sponsored a student contest for a new name.
What happened to Glen Ridge schools in 1959 to address the post-World War II “Baby Boom”:
Sherman Avenue School opened.
The Borough sold Central School.
A large addition was added to the south end of the High School.
The addition of six elementary school classrooms: four at Forest Avenue School and two at Linden Avenue School.
The year 2020 is the 125th Anniversary of what event in Glen Ridge:
Ridgewood Avenue School opened.
Episcopal Church moved to Glen Ridge after the original church building in Bloomfield burned down.
Glen Ridge seceded from Bloomfield and incorporated as a separate municipality.
The first electric powered train stopped in Glen Ridge.
During the 19th century there were three water powered mills along Toney’s Brook in Glen Ridge. Which product was NOT produced by any of the mills:
Which Grammy Award-winning jazz saxophonist lives in Glen Ridge?
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service