Use this form to recommend local Muslims from Washington State who could be featured by media about their lives, challenges, triumphs, families, hobbies, hopes, dreams, or other topics. Think about it this way: Who do you know that you wish were featured on CNN, on the front page of the NY Times, etc., etc. and why? Or which allies who are religious leaders, business leaders or just everyday people who know Muslims who should be in media talking about American Muslims they know? Then fill out this form with as many suggestions for people as you can think of!
The goal of this project is to counter stereotypes and the crisis of anti-Muslim hate created by years of unbalanced reporting, by helping create hundreds and hundreds of TV, radio, newspaper and magazine stories that feature everyday American Muslims' lives, accomplishments, families, challenges, triumphs, and allies speaking about American values and about the American Muslims in their lives, by training them on speaking to media and then pitching them to editors/shows.
We especially need to find local Muslims who, inspired by their Islamic faith, are doing great things in life and/or serving as military personnel/veterans, law enforcement officers, public school teachers, firefighters, medics, student athletes, pro athletes, youth starting extraordinary social or entrepreneurial projects, nurses, retirees, young families, working moms balancing their schedules, non-working moms/dads raising great kids, class valedictorians, musicians, students involved in student gov't, etc., etc.!! We also need to find non-Muslim allies who are leaders in business, military, law enforcement, faith and other sectors, as well as everyday people.
They would be well-spoken, and must be willing to be trained to use key strategic messages that resonate with audiences and break stereotypes, and of course have schedules that allow them to respond to media calls when new stories break. They can be individuals, couples or families.
No information will be shared until we directly contact anyone recommended and have their express written permission.
Here are just a few examples of media stories that could be created by your suggestions:
- Muslim women surfers: http://www.kcet.org/shows/socal_connected/stories/people/women-surfers.html
- Profile of a professional Muslim lady: http://seattleglobalist.com/2015/05/26/aneelah-afzali-rediscovering-muslim-faith/37394
- A Muslim youth basketball league: http://www.seattlechannel.org/videos?videoid=x57403 and http://kuow.org/post/east-african-kids-find-space-play-and-learn-seattle-area
- Anti-Muslim hate crimes from the perspective of a local mosque leader: http://seattleglobalist.com/2015/02/27/hate-crimes-washington-muslim-hindu-seattle-lynnwood-bothell/34315
- A relate-able, everyday young Muslim family's hopes and dreams of future: http://mynorthwest.com/11/2787481/Islamic-Seattle-family-hopes-for-nointerest-home-loans
- American Muslim kids lobbying lawmakers: http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_27999394/muslims-aim-make-voices-heard-sacramento
- American Muslim leaders and former student athletes: http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/for-winning-husky-a-new-calling-and-a-second-look-at-the-country-called-home/ and http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/aug/09/qasim-hatem-immersed-himself-in-islam-after/