1. Serving as an information hub for housing counselors, consumer advocates, legislators, homeowners, and renters for timely, reliable foreclosure-related information;
2. Advocating for policy changes for stronger consumer protection and foreclosure mitigation laws; and
3. Helping nonprofit counseling agencies build capacity to better serve clients and meet the needs of the communities in which they serve.
Membership in the Michigan Foreclosure Task Force is free and open to any and all individuals and organizations who subscribe to the following core beliefs:
• Endorse the National Industry Foreclosure Counseling Standards and the National Industry Code of Ethics and Conduct;
• Endorse the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development principle that foreclosure counseling services be provided free of charge and conduct their operations in accordance with that principle;
• Support a shared policy agenda which includes making revisions to Michigan’s 90-day pre-foreclosure negotiation law; enacting basic consumer protections against predatory lending; cracking down on foreclosure rescue scams; and securing a dedicated funding stream for foreclosure and broader homeowner counseling and education; and
• Support the productive re-use and stewardship of vacant and foreclosed properties as a central component of protecting communities from the impacts of foreclosure.
In exchange, MFTF members receive access to the following benefits:
• Timely email updates on foreclosure-related news and policy changes from the state and federal government
• Training and counseling certification opportunities
• Access to foreclosure-related data
• Connection to a network of peers throughout Michigan