OPPORTUNITY FUND PROGRAM COLOMBIA 2019-20
The EducationUSA Opportunity Fund Program, supported by the U.S. Department of State, assists highly qualified students who are likely to be awarded full financial support from accredited U.S. colleges and universities but who do not have the financial resources to cover the up-front costs related to applying and obtaining admission. Over the course of approximately one year, selected students work closely with an EducationUSA adviser and with the cohort of other Opportunity Fund students to prepare and submit applications to up to eight U.S. universities where they have a strong chance of receiving a full scholarship from the university to cover tuition and living expenses.
The Opportunity Fund Program is only for students interested in undergraduate or graduate degree programs; it is not for students looking to complete short-term exchange programs, intensive English, or other types of programs of study. It is important to remember that this program does not guarantee acceptance into or scholarships from universities in the U.S.; however, the program does offer advising services and financial support for students in order to complete the application process to U.S. universities.
COSTS COVERED BY THE PROGRAM
The Opportunity Fund Program can cover the following types of expenses, as determined necessary by the EducationUSA Adviser and by the progress and individual circumstances of the student:
- Standardized exams (TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, ACT, GRE, as applicable) and score reports
- Application fees to U.S. institutions
- Translations and administrative costs related to required documents
- Travel costs within Colombia (to present exams and/or apply for visa)
- Visa and SEVIS fees
- Air ticket to U.S.
- Settling-in allowance in the U.S.
*NOTE: Opportunity funding cannot be used to cover university tuition.
To be eligible for the Opportunity Fund Program, the student must meet the following requirements:
- Citizen or legal permanent resident of Colombia
- Financial need
- Strong level of English
- Demonstrated leadership activities
- Commitment to pursue an undergraduate or graduate degree in the U.S., starting studies in August/September 2020 (if accepted and awarded full financial support from the U.S. institution and/or other sources)
- Commitment to work closely with an EducationUSA Adviser and participate in all virtual and in-person advising sessions
Successful applicants will be highly qualified students with outstanding grades, extremely strong spoken and written English, demonstrated leadership, and limited financial resources to pay for the cost of the application process to universities in the U.S.
1. Complete this Google application form in English. Applications completed in Spanish will not be considered.
2. Once the Google application form is complete, send an email to email@example.com with the following documents as attachments:
a. Copy of utilities bill/receipt from where you live, showing your estrato
b. Copy of cedula or tarjeta de identidad
c. Transcripts (list of courses and grades), in Spanish
i. If you are interested in undergraduate programs in the U.S., please send your high school grades
ii. If you are interested in graduate programs in the U.S., please send your university grades
The deadline for submitting your application and supplemental documents is April 10, 2019. All applicants will be contacted by May 6, 2019 regarding their status in the program. In addition, you may be contacted for a phone, video, or in-person interview in English as part of the selection process.
The Opportunity Fund Program is administered by EducationUSA Colombia, a program of the U.S. Department of State. For more information, please visit www.educationUSA.state.gov or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.