UK-SATH Developer Placement programme - call for UK-based senior technologists
The UK-South Africa Tech Hub has launched a pilot programme to increase the number of digitally up-skilled youth from diverse backgrounds entering entrepreneurial activity streams - via a work placement within tech start-ups or traditional small businesses requiring digital enablement, or through creating their own new entrepreneurial endeavours.
The Developer Placement Programme is looking for UK-based senior technologists to work with newly graduated developers and their placement companies on this exciting new programme.
1. Enable knowledge and skills transfer from the UK senior technologists to South African digitally up-skilled youth and SME teams
2. Embed successful work placement and/or venture creation as a core part of the digital skills development value chain
3. Increase the number of MVPs progressing through the validation phase of the entrepreneurial growth cycle through the creation of new products and prototypes for testing
4. Unlock potential acquisition, investment and partnership opportunities for UK based companies through exposure to South African early stage tech entrepreneurs operating in similar sectors
1. Be a senior technologist in a start-up that is at least 2 years old
2. Have 5+ years of relevant work experience
3. Have significant experience leading developer teams that build, design and deploy digital products and services
4. Have experience preparing and teaching workshops to developer teams
5. Be able to commit to attending both trips to South Africa
**Your company should have an interest in exploring possible partnership opportunities in South Africa**
Successful applicants would participate in two visits to South Africa:
2-5 December 2019: advise on the scope and technical requirements of the participants’ projects undertaken during their internships
17-20 March 2020: evaluate participants’ projects; glean insights post-internship on how well the developers achieved their goals and how well the host SME integrated the developer into their team
To close the programme, the UK-South Africa Tech Hub will host a networking event designed to introduce the UK participants to the broader South African tech ecosystem, including local peers, investors and start-ups working in similar tech sectors
Application dates: 30 September - 18 October (participants notified by 30 October)
Flights, accommodation and meals will be covered by the UK-South Africa Tech Hub. Participating senior technologists should be willing to act as spokespeople for the programme
Contact: Shirley Gilbey, UK-South Africa Tech Hub Director <
Explain what your company does (<100 words)
Why are you interested in this programme? (<100 words)
Outline your brief personal biography (<100 words)
Provide the name, job title, company and contact details of your professional referee
Confirm your commitment to the programme
I confirm I can commit to attending both trips (2-5 December 2019 and 17-20 March 2020) to South Africa as part of this programme
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Department for Culture Media & Sport.
Terms of Service