Interprofessional Geriatric Case Competition Signup - Fall 2021
This competition is a unique opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students from multiple disciplines and schools at the University of Minnesota to come together as a team to develop a comprehensive, interprofessional plan of care for a complex older patient with multiple chronic health challenges. Read below to register for the 2021 Interprofessional Geriatric Case Competition!
The local UMN competition timeline will be conducted over four weeks from September 27th-October 24th, 2021, with prizes awarded to the top teams. Some students from ATSU will also participate in the UMN competition. The winning team from the local UMN competition will compete live via Zoom on November 2nd with the winning team from Saint Louis University.
- In Fall 2021, the entire competition will be virtual/online: some asynchronous and some synchronous.
- Registration is limited and granted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- The Geriatric Case Competition is open to University of Minnesota students and dental students from AT Still University.
- Participation is free!
- You will be notified by Friday, September 24, 2021 as to your team assignment in the competition. Your first required Team meeting is the virtual Competition Orientation on Monday 9/27 at 5:30 pm.
- Each student team will be assigned a Coach, who is a geriatric expert from the community or U of M faculty, advanced doctoral student, post-doctoral fellow, or resident. The coaches serve as advisors to the interprofessional student teams as they prepare for the competition.
- Competition judges will include geriatric experts from among U of M faculty and community agencies. Judges will provide constructive feedback to student teams at the competition.
- This activity is integrated into the UMN 1Health Interprofessional Education Program.
- Cash prizes will be awarded, to be shared among team members.
- All students completing the competition will receive an online subscription to Geriatrics at Your Fingertips.
Who Should Register:
We hope to involve students from across the Health Sciences, Social Work, the Humphrey School, Law School, Liberal Arts, Long Term Care Administration and more – anyone with an interest in geriatrics or participating in an interprofessional health care team.
- Students: Upper-level undergraduate (junior or senior status) and graduate (master’s and doctoral level), students from across the U of M who are interested in geriatrics are encouraged to participate.
- Coaches: Case competition coaches are geriatric experts from the U of M faculty, post-doctoral fellows, or community. Coaches are expected to attend the online Coach Orientation once the week of 9/21, and a Competition Orientation with your team 9/27. If your team wins the local UMN competition and proceeds the Final round, coaches are asked to be present at the Competition on 11/2 to support their team. Coaches are expected to spend about 2-3 hours with their team over the competition period. Total expected contribution of service: 5 hours.
- Judges: Judges are geriatric experts from the U of M faculty, advanced graduate students/post-doctoral fellows or residents, and the community. Judges are expected to participate in an online Judge Orientation Tuesday 10/19 5-6 PM. From 10/25 - 10/27, judges will review the case competition presentations of the teams, asynchronously, online, and give scores. For the top UMN team, there will be a synchronous online Competition with Saint Louis University which will be on a Monday evening, 11/2, 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM. Total expected contribution of service: 6 hours.
Geriatric Case Competition Timeline:
Registration Open: May -September 20, 2021
Teams and Coaches Announced: September 24, 2021
Team Orientation (Require for students and coaches): Monday, September 27, 2021 from 5:30-7 PM.
Competition Team Meetings: Your team will coordinate your own meetings, based on individual schedules and coach schedules. You will have approximately four weeks between receiving your case at the Orientation to the Competition, between September and October 2021.
Optional Coach Check-In Meeting: Mon 10/11 5-6 PM
Optional VoiceThread Orientation/training Wednesday 10/13 4PM (optional; online training materials available)
Judge Orientation (required for judges): Tuesday, October 19, 5-6 PM
Due Date: Pre-recorded Presentations (using VoiceThread) must be submitted by Sunday, October 24th at 11:59 PM.
Initial Judging for the Asynchronous UMN Competition: October 25-28th, 2021.
UMN Finalist Announced: October 29, 2021.
Live Synchronous Final Competition and Judging with Zoom Presentation: Tuesday, November 2nd from 5:30-8 PM. This is an Inter-University Competition with ATSU and Saint Louis University.
Winner announced November 3, 2021.
Please register here to indicate your interest in joining the Interprofessional Geriatric Case Competition!
Sign in to Google
to save your progress.
First and Last Name
I am registering as a
UMN Student interested in joining the Geriatric Case Competition
ATSU Student interested in joining the Geriatric Case Competition
Faculty/professional in Geriatrics, interested in volunteering with the Geriatric Case Competition as a Judge or Coach
As a gift for participation students, coaches and judges will receive a 1-year online subscription to Geriatrics at Your Fingertips. Please enter your email address for which you'd like access to the subscription to "Geriatrics At Your Fingertips® 2021", an annually updated reference that provides quick, easy access to the specific information clinicians need to make decisions about the care of older adults..
Postal mailing address in November 2021? Winning team members will receive something as recognition of your participation.
Page 1 of 5
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of University of Minnesota Twin Cities.