Please note, the sign up below is for parents. Some sessions are designed for moms and daughters, some sessions are for parents and children to attend together, and some are geared towards parents only. We are asking parents to sign up individually for sessions. Please indicate how many children are attending with you along with their names, if applicable.Sessions fill up on a first come, first serve basis.
Grandparents and other family members are welcome to join us! We just ask that you sign them up separately.
1. ViBE - FULL for Session #1ViBE Dance & Fitness is excited to work with Bakersfield parents and students and learn how dance builds confidence. Marnie and Rena, Co-Owners will be leading a fun and interactive session that is guaranteed to make you sweat and smile......and feel the ViBE!
2. FitGirls - Mom and Daughter workshopFitGirls offers small group personal training and boot camps to girls aged 8-16 years with a focus on healthy physical activity and fitness while gaining a positive body image, growing self-esteem and self-confidence. This program is designed intentionally for pre-teen and adolescent girls and their ever-changing needs. Workouts are challenging, fun, and strive to make a positive impact on the girl’s fitness and overall self-confidence.
In this workshop, Mom & Daughter partner up for a 45 minute boot camp workout. This circuit style class is a total body strength training workout combined with an intense cardiovascular challenge. Dumbbells, resistance bands, ropes, medicine balls, and body weight exercises will be incorporated to maximize strength, cardiovascular fitness, agility, balance and coordination while spending quality time together!
3. Glama Gals - Mom and Daughter Workshop - Feeling Good on the Inside and Out! - 2nd Session is now full!Be Confident! Be Positive! Be YOU! Recognizing that girls experience societal pressures from peers, television, and social media, Glama Gals cultivates an accepting culture whereby girls are empowered and celebrated for who they are. Glama Gals achieves this goal by offering themed spa services that are all about affirming a tween girl’s positive spirit. Located in the Vaughan area a few minutes away from Vaughan Mills, Glama Gal Tween Spa Vaughan is our very first Tween Spa Location. We boast a beautiful and elegant open concept spa, with party room, gorgeous retail area and BFF Lounge. This particular Glama Gal Tween Spa is quite unique as it offers the one and only Glama Star Music Video Kiosk. This location also offers adult and teen facials by a licensed esthetician using the Award winning Eminence Organic Facial and Skincare product line. Check out our website for a list of spa services available in our private Spa Wellness room complete with relaxing spa beds, soothing spa music and aromatic scents.
In this workshop, moms and daughters will receive the Glama Gals experience at Bakersfield with mini facials for the ladies and manicures for the girls.
4. Dr. Naama Bartfeld - MD, CCFP (College of Family Physicians of Canada), Faculty at U of T - Screen Time in Children and AdolescentsDr. Naama Bartfeld (a Bakersfield mom) practices family medicine at Eagles Landing Medical in Maple. She will be speaking about the effects of screen time in children and adolescents. Specifically, she will review the Canadian guidelines on screen time in children, the impact of screen time on the health and well being of children and the long term implications of screen time for this technological generation.
5. Erin Toole - Healthy Snacks and Optimizing Nutrients with Picky EatersA Holistic Wellness Practitioner (and Bakersfield mom), Erin is a proponent for holistic and natural living. Her passion is guiding people to live healthier, happier lives: physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.In this workshop Erin will talk about choosing healthy snacks and optimizing nutrients for your children.
6. Avital Weig – Food Preparation for Busy FamiliesWithout question, if there is anything that I can do for somebody it is to feed them, literally hand feed them. The message of love that is translated on a plate is like no other. No matter how many fancy restaurants we can go to, we always seem to fall back on needing that one homemade meal just to nourish our soul. This workshop will demonstrate how families can prepare economic and healthy dishes to suit everyone’s tastes.I hope I can show you just how deserving you are of sitting down and having a nice family meal out of simple go to foods!
7. Shoshana Chaim – Family Centered YogaShoshana Chaim, B.Ed., OCT, RKY, has over 20 years experience teaching in formal and informal educational settings. She was a classroom and Phys. Ed. teacher with a specialist in Spec. Ed before becoming a certified Children's Yoga Instructor and Plant-Based Family Health and Wellness Coach. She has woven together her teaching experience and her knowledge of yoga and mindfulness to create yoga programs in daycares and elementary schools that help empower students by building confidence and giving them the tools and exposure to yoga and mindfulness to pull on throughout their lives. She often incorporates her love and professional knowledge of personal training and nutrition to create holistic experiences for her students whether they are 2 or 200! Look out for Shoshana’s soon to be published book on teaching children to relax and breathe. In this workshop, parents and students will participate in a yoga session together.
8. Energy Karate - Family Karate Session - FULL for 1st and 2nd Sessions.Karate focuses on the wellbeing of the whole person, from character development to physical fitness. Our interactive high energy session will highlight focus and fitness.
We have two workshops being presented by health professionals from Boomerang Health. Boomerang is a Sick Kids affiliated multidisciplinary healthcare centre in York Region.
9. Boomerang Health: Self-Regulation & Social Skills in School-Aged ChildrenPresented by: Lauren Greenwood, Speech-Language Pathologist & Jordana Schwarz, Occupational TherapistThis interactive workshop will provide parents and students with a basic overview of the necessary self-regulation and social pragmatic skills required in school-aged children, and outline two well established programs used to target these areas: The Zones of Regulation® and Social Thinking (Unthinkables)®. Attendees can expect to walk away with new knowledge, specific strategies, and a craft takeaway that will have been completed during the workshop.
10. Boomerang Health: Understanding and Managing Big Emotions: Strategies for Kids and ParentsPresented by: Dr. Susan Lambert, PsychologistThis interactive workshop will focus on feelings! Participants will learn ways to notice and label their feelings, review strategies to manage big feelings (using mindfulness and breathing exercises), and discuss how to validate feelings in others.
Parent Only Sessions:
11. Jessica Ehrenworth – Overcoming Anger and Difficult EmotionsJessica Ehrenworth is a Registered Psychotherapist and Counselor with graduate degrees in Psychology, Homeopathy and Spirituality. She is the founder of Brain Healthy Inc and Soul-Full Sanctuary. After watching the hit and miss approach that often comes with traditional psychotherapy, and after having hit her own rough patch where traditional strategies were not enough, Jessica knew there must be more. Jessica realized that the way we approach conventional mental and emotional health is extremely limited and keeps most clients on an unhealthy roller coaster of crisis, which never actually heals the symptoms or the issues.
About the workshop: If you do not master the keys to your emotional health, life becomes much harder than it has to be. Let’s face it. Dealing with your own emotions is hard. Dealing with the emotions of others can be harder. The good news is that the more you understand what emotions are and how they work, the easier it becomes to deal with both your emotions and the emotions of others. That is exactly what we will discuss in this workshop.
12. Dr. Nikhil Gupta – Endocrinology – MD, MPH (Masters in Public Health – Epidemiology), DABIM – Diplomat American Board of Internal Medicine; FACE- Fellow of American College of Endocrinology
Not Just Diet and Exercise...How can Parents Reduce their Risk of Diabetes and Heart Disease at a young age!Dr. Nikhil Gupta (a Bakersfield dad) is an Endocrinologist (Diabetes and Hormone Disorders Specialist) who practices in Markham and Brampton. He sees patients with Diabetes, obesity, thyroid dysfunction, high cholesterol, osteoporosis (bone loss), adrenal and other hormone disorders. In his practice, Dr. Gupta has noticed an increasing number of patients with Type 2 Diabetes at a very young age, starting in their late teens to early 20's, 30's and 40's. This along with the rising prevalence of Diabetes in all age groups in Canada points to rapidly changing societal and environmental factors around us as potential causes of this epidemic. We as parents may be unaware that we are vulnerable to Diabetes and other chronic diseases due to constant demands of work and personal life on our bodies, which is a wonderfully complex but fragile ecosystem.
In his interactive presentation, Dr. Gupta will discuss everyday tips and tricks to adopt a 360 degree healthy lifestyle in our busy lives!
13. Dr. David Lipson - Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation - MD, FRCPC (Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada) - Concussion
Concussion has been a hot topic in the media. In this workshop, Dr. Lipson (and Bakersfield dad) will discuss some of the concerns that has gained media attention in recent years.
14. Kevin Greene - ADHD, Autism, & Anxiety - What Does It Mean To You?
If you watch the news, you will often hear about the increase in the diagnoses of ADHD and Autism in school aged children. We also are told that the levels of anxiety in our children is higher than when we were young. Chances are your child has classmates who have been diagnosed with one of these conditions. What does it all mean?
In this session, Kevin Greene will lead a discussion on ADHD and Autism, and discuss anxiety in children. Kevin is a Bakersfield parent of two children, and is currently completing his MA in Counselling Psychology. His goal after he graduates is to work with families that have children with chronic and developmental difficulties to help them thrive.
15. Vaughan Children's Dentistry - Healthy Snacks, Oral Hygiene and Orthodontic ReferralVaughan Children's Dentistry is a team of pediatric dentists who strive to make the dental visit a positive one for both parent and patient. In this session, members of the dental team from Vaughan Children's Dentistry will be presenting a workshop on healthy snacking, brushing, and when to see the orthodontist for your first visit.
16. Bonnie Wisener –HOW TO PACK HEALTHY LUNCHES THAT ACTUALLY GET EATEN - CANCELLEDBonnie Wisener is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist who is passionate about the impact of food on your health. She enjoys working with clients to help them discover the best way to nourish themselves in order to foster optimal wellness. Her special areas of interest include digestion, blood sugar management, and nutritional support for autoimmune disease. Bonnie creates realistic nutrition and lifestyle plans based on each client’s needs. She also runs a popular online program called the ShiftShape 10 DAY ONLINE CLEANSE. Bonnie is the founder of Shift Nutrition and Wellness. Her company provides nutritional guidance to several medical practices, as well as corporate clients such as Coppa’s Fine Foods.
In this engaging presentation, Bonnie Wisener will guide us through the basic principles of packing a healthy lunchbox designed to provide children with balanced nutrients to sustain them through their busy days. Tips and tricks from her popular book “The Shifted Lunchbox – A Parent’s Survival Guide to Lunches That Actually Get Eaten”, loaded with convenient Lunch and Snack Meal Plans and delicious, easy to prepare recipes that your whole family will enjoy.FREE BOOK DOWNLOAD TO ALL ATTENDEES