Jewish Staszow Survey
I have created a questionnaire as part of my doctoral dissertation "Jewish Staszow as Site of Memory." I am reaching out to you because of your connection with Staszow, and would appreciate your spending 10-15 minutes completing the document below. Thanks in advance, Passi Rosen-Bayewitz
Why Jewish Staszow Memory Matters?
• You are being asked to complete a questionnaire on the role of Jewish Staszow as a site of memory.
• You are selected as a possible respondent because of your connection to Staszow as a result of familial, genealogical, historical and/or academic interests.
• The results of this questionnaire will be kept strictly confidential. All electronic information will be coded and secured using a password protected file.
• The purpose of this questionnaire is to analyze why and how Jewish Staszow, a small town in Poland, mattered and continues to matter to individuals scattered across the globe. The questionnaire also addresses ways to preserve Jewish Staszow memory for the future.
• The results of this questionnaire will be published as part of a dissertation “Jewish Staszow as Site of Memory” written by Passi Rosen-Bayewitz, in fulfillment of the Doctor of Letters (D.Litt.) degree program at Drew University.
• There is no physical or psychological risk involved in this questionnaire. You are free to withdraw participation at any time.
• The responses will be anonymous; the results will be presented as an aggregate; the gathered
data will be kept confidential.
By participating in this questionnaire, you agree that any information obtained may be used in any way thought best for publication or education provided that you are in no way identified and your name is not used.
Participation in the questionnaire indicates you have agreed to participate in the study.
If you have any questions or problems concerning your particiption in this questionnaire, please contact Dr. William Rogers, Associate Dean of the Caspersen School, Drew University,
i. Would you say that the memory of Jewish Staszow matters to you?
ii. If yes, please tell us why. Below are some of the points that different people have shared with us about why Staszow memory matters to them or what drives their interest. Which points are more in-line with what you are thinking or feeling? Choose and check up to five.
To maintain the memory of my parents
To maintain the memory of my ancestors
To maintain the memory of the Jewish Staszow destroyed during the Shoah
To transmit the memory for future generations
To learn about my roots
To learn about who I am
Enjoy being the family historian
To connect with living relatives
To connect with a community of similar interest
To support my spouse/friend’s interest in Staszow
Enjoy the study of Polish Jewish history
Meaningful and rewarding way to use spare time
Provides reason to travel
To join a Jewish family history/genealogy group
For academic reasons
For genealogy reasons
For Jewish identity reasons
For religious reasons
For spiritual reasons
For professional reasons
For therapeutic reasons
Obtain European passports for my family
If you have other reasons, please list them below.
In what way(s) do you sustain the memory of Jewish Staszow? Below are some of the ways that people have shared with us about how they sustain Staszow memory. Which points reflect some of the actions that you have taken over the years? There is no limit to the number of points you may choose to check.
Share Jewish Staszow memorabilia, photographs, recipes, songs, and stories with family and friends
Observe rites linked to memory — light memorial candle at home; participate in Staszow memorial gatherings; recite Kaddish and Yizkor prayer in synagogue
Name child after ancestor from Staszow
Complete Page of Testimony at Yad Vashem
Apply creative talent to remember Staszow — write autobiography, biography, memoir, graphic novel, poetry; make a film; create art work; compose a song
Translate Yiddish and Hebrew articles in Sefer Staszow — the Staszow Memorial Book into English or other language
Establish family ritual(s) to commemorate the lost world of Staszow
Make charitable contribution in memory of Jews from Staszow
Establish physical memorials such as a) inscribing name of family member(s) murdered during the Shoah on back of tombstone of recently deceased relative who lived outside of Poland; b) erect-ing in Staszow cemetery tombstone in memory of past family members whose tombstones were destroyed during the Shoah or who were murdered and received no burial.
Join Staszower community group such as the Staszowers Facebook Page
Engage in genealogy with a focus on Staszow
Study the history of Staszow
Perform DNA test
Maintain the Jewish cemetery in Staszow
Recover family properties
Maintain contact with families of Righteous Among the Nations in Staszow
If you have other reasons, please list them below.
If you have anything else you would like to share about your engagement in Jewish Staszow memory work, please indicate below.
Thank you so much for completing this questionnaire.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service