FutureCycle Mechanic-In-Training Application
Position Description: Reno Bike Project is recruiting 4 positions for our FutureCycle Program. FutureCycle is a career skills training program utilizing Reno Bike Project as a setting to teach youth skills for a lifetime of employment. Mechanics-In-Training will learn bike maintenance and repair as well as perform a wide range of shop activities.
This is not your typical mechanic position, nor a typical bike shop. You will assist with a wide scope of activities and will be required to “wear many hats” in a fast-paced work environment. Our shop serves bicycle hobbyists, college students, Reno’s homeless population, and more. We repair their bicycles, answer questions, and provide general customer service. Repairs on customers’ bikes represent us as a bike shop, so any repair must be completed to the highest standards. We repair bikes of all varieties and ages.
Aside from operating a full service repair shop, our organization is committed to helping people learn bicycle repair and maintenance; six public workstations are available during open hours for the public to utilize our tools and knowledge in order to repair their own bikes. People from all walks of life and skill levels use our shop and sometimes that can be a challenge. Patience and a good attitude are mandatory attributes. If you don’t work with people well, do not apply. If you enjoy helping people one-on-one, and wish to help provide our community with a valuable resource, this might be the job for you. Working at Reno Bike Project is an opportunity to join a close-knit group of motivated individuals who, daily, make a substantial impact on the cycling community in Reno through education and by encouraging cyclists to be self-reliant, motivated, and knowledgeable.
Position Duties & Responsibilities:
The following reflects management's definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time in order to provide reasonable accommodation or for other reasons. You will be trained for these tasks and expected to complete them independently by the conclusion of your FutureCycle program:
• Perform bicycle repair, maintenance, and walk-in services on customers' bicycles as needed;
• Deliver professional, accessible, and helpful customer service to a diverse customer base;
• Support daily bike shop operations;
• Properly take in service work including correctly filling out service work orders, scheduling an appropriate amount of repairs and completing those repairs in a timely manner;
• Advise and assist customers with their product selection without bias;
• Develop and maintain knowledge and expertise of all merchandise in the shop to effectively assist customers with accurate information;
• Assist with bike sales and any other bike floor duties as needed;
• Maintain a clean and safe workplace
• Assist with shop maintenance and construction projects; and
• Perform other duties as assigned by the RBP shop manager.
Compensation: $8.25-10/hr. Participants may build a bike for themselves to keep.
Schedule: Shifts available for up to 20 hours/week; 15-week internship. Strong potential for successful participants to be offered a continuing position.
Desire to develop:
• Excellent mechanical skills;
• Strong customer service skills;
• A self-directed, energetic, flexible and personable attitude;
• Excellent organizational skills;
• The ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
• The ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment; and
• The ability to work some weekends and holidays to support business needs.
These positions are open to all individuals, age 16-24. Preference will be given to youth who experience barriers to success, and to those not concurrently enrolled as students.
Four positions open; first to apply, first to be interviewed.
Applications are due Monday, January 13, 2020; program begins the week of January 20, 2020.
Our goal is to be a diverse and inclusive workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the community we serve. This position is available to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, political affiliation, religion, or any other status protected under the law.
I have read the position description and wish to continue with the 2020 FutureCycle application.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Reno Bike Project.