2020 Health Rising Leadership Institute Application
The Health Rising Leadership Institute (Health Rising) is a 9-month fellowship designed to strengthen leaders of Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander (AA and NHPI) community organizations involved in improving health equity. This year’s institute is open to applicants from all 50 states.
DUE: Thursday, October 31st at 5:00 PM PST
For over 30 years, APIAHF has built, cultivated, and supported a nation-wide network of community based organizations (CBOs) engaged in improving the health of AA and NHPI children, families, and communities. Time and time again, these CBOs have acted together in partnership with APIAHF to improve data, to increase access to care, and to improve the quality of health and public health for AAs and NHPIs. A key component of this work has focused on supporting leadership development as well as organizational and community infrastructure to assess community needs, to identify health equity priorities and to leverage multi-level strategies to advance increased awareness and resources.
Now more than ever, the shifting political will related to health equity and the heightened attack on immigrant and people of color communities requires AA and NHPI advocates to be even more visible and increasingly grounded in their leadership. We are seeking to grow the collective AA and NHPI communities’ voice, leadership infrastructure, and ultimately… power.
Health Rising is an experiential leadership program created for AA and NHPI leaders wanting to lead meaningful change for themselves, their organizations and the communities they love. Its aim is to cultivate a national cadre of AA and NHPI storyteller leaders who will lead and inspire the movement for health equity.
The Health Rising Leadership framework is a double helix module that consists of 2 “strands” or approaches – Transformational Leadership Development and Storytelling as a Tool for Action. These 2 approaches are held together by 3 key practices. These are:
1) Aligning your values, beliefs and purpose
2) Inspiring others through your personal story and vision
3) Building resiliency and stamina for the long term
By working on these 2 approaches and 3 practices, together we will create a Rising Affect that calls out for change, sparks action and offers a resonant and inspiring future vision for the health and well-being of AA and NHPI communities.
The Health Rising experience will take place over a 9-month period and include two 3-day face-to face trainings with distance-based activities in between. Fellows must commit to attend the following:
• Initial 3-day face-to-face training/retreat in Oakland (February 3, 4 & 5. fly-in Feb. 2. fly-out Feb. 6)
• Monthly online video discussions
• Second 3-day face-to-face training/retreat in Las Vegas (June 24, 25 & 26. fly-in June 23. fly-out June 27)
• 2 public storytelling events
• 5 one-on-one coaching sessions
KNOWLEDGE + SKILLS
Health Rising uses experiential learning and self-introspection to reinforce Fellows’ capacities for storytelling and leadership.
• Participants will be exposed to and explore leadership strategies and resources they can apply to their work including finding their authentic voice; embracing the power of vulnerability; clarifying purpose/beliefs/values; inspiring a shared vision; and managing personal triggers for effective leadership.
• Participants will learn key elements to leadership storytelling including the use of the public narrative as a means to spark change, transmit values, foster collaboration, share knowledge and lead people.
• Participants will be paired with a coach to examine their own personal leadership strengths and growth areas.
• Throughout the program, participants will develop close ties with their cohort through intensive training and peer-to-peer support.
Approximately 10-13 organizational leaders/emerged change makers whose work is focused on advancing health equity for AA and NHPI communities will be competitively selected to participate. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
• Identify as AA and/or NHPI
• Live and work in the 50 states
• Lead and support a coalition
• Have at least 5-7 years of work experience as a manager or director with the ability to influence organizational policy within their agency
• Demonstrate experience in representing the agency externally (e.g., public speaking role, representative in external committees, etc.)
• Have passion for health justice
• Be open to developing new leadership skills to courageously examine their leadership purpose/vision, values and assumptions, and leadership strengths and challenges
• Be willing to share their personal narrative and connect with others through a public sharing process
The program tuition for Health Rising includes in-person sessions/retreats, workbook and materials, individual coaching, online/distance activities, lodging and meals at the opening and closing retreats, and access to APIAHF-related program events. APIAHF will cover the costs of participant's roundtrip travel to and from the retreat sites.
Sliding scale registration fee based on organization's size and budget is as follows.
• $499,999 or less - $550
• $500,000 – $999,999 - $700
• $1,000,000 – $2,999,999 - $800
• $3,000,000+ - $1100
The cost of the program should not be a deterrent if a potential Fellow is interested in submitting an application. If a potential Fellow is unable to meet the registration fee, please contact Bonnie Kwon at
to discuss options.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of APIAHF.