Penn Community for Justice membership pledge
I can no longer ignore, or be complicit in, the white supremacist violence enacted by wealthy institutions of power on Black people, Indigenous people, people of color, and working class people. Through my membership in the Penn community, I am demanding that Penn:
1) Establish an indefinite agreement with the City of Philadelphia, through a Payments in Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) program, to pay at least 40% of the university’s yearly property tax obligation into a publicly accountable Education Equity Fund.
2) Permanently divest from the prison industrial complex and other industries, such as fossil fuels, known to perpetuate harm against Black, Indigenous, and other minority communities, while reporting fully transparent and public accounts of the university’s investments and contributions.
3) Defund Penn Police and work with community and campus violence prevention organizations to institute police-free alternatives for community safety, both on and off campus.
We are also invested in a longer-term reimagining of Penn’s relationship to Philadelphia, based on an equitable partnership, which would necessitate that Penn:
4. Establish a genuine, open and ongoing dialogue with Philadelphia community members in order to heal and address community needs through solutions grounded in restorative justice principles and public accountability.
5. Democratize Penn’s amassed resources to truly serve the Philadelphia community. Essential changes include, but are not limited to, eliminating physical and psychological barriers to community assets on Penn’s campus, and engaging in good faith with labor demands for economic justice.
I pledge to be an active member of Penn Community for Justice, and commit to building our collective power by taking direct action capable of uprooting Penn’s entrenched white supremacy and racism. I will work to unite Penn community members with our neighbors in the broader Philadelphia community by talking to others about this movement, and inviting them to build a better world centered on human needs and economic and racial justice, not greed.
Sign in to Google
to save your progress.
Signed (Include name to sign onto our pledge)
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service