Filling out this form will take only 5-10 minutes
This complaint will also be forwarded by WeCan to the UN Office High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in Geneva. The NZ Governmentt also has an obligation to report annually to the OECD about Human Rights complaints it has received, so your complaint will help raise awareness at international levels (both at the OECD and UN) that things are not ok in Canterbury, that we need them to come out and see what’s happening, and that things need to change.
For specific information check out the following link http://www.med.govt.nz/business/trade-tariffs/trade-environment/oecd-guidelines-for-multi-national-enterprises/reporting-a-multi-national-enterprise
Read the full text of the guidelines http://www.oecd.org/document/28/0,3746,en_2649_34889_2397532_1_1_1_1,00.html
If you have more than one insurance company, or wish to complain about EQC as well as your private insurance company, you need to fill in a separate complaint form.
Why is it about Insurance companies & EQC?
Because Insurance companies & EQC are defined by the OECD as multi nationals (as they get their re-insurance from other countries) this makes them obligated to follow OECD guidelines in respect of Human Rights.
What Human Rights violations can we complain about?
Insurance company & EQC decisions (or non-decisions) that impact your right to adequate housing (ICESCR art 11);
· Living in an UNSAFE/ habitable House : e.g. leaky roof, leaky toilets, damp house, mould, no outside cladding, exposure to wind and rain, structural hazards etc
· Living in a house WITHOUT SERVICES (e.g. having no drinking water, heating, lighting, sanitation, washing facilities rubbish collection, food storage, site drainage)
· NO SECURITY of ACCOMMODATION (no emergency accommodation, or its run out and you have nowhere to stay, or you have to keep moving about etc)
Insurance company & EQC decisions (or non-decisions) that impact your right to health (ICESCR art 12);
· Living in an UNHEALTHY house: big mice and rat problem, cramped living (because living with others or only one or two rooms are livable), feel confined to home (can't or don't go out because of poor footpaths and roads or feel area is now unsafe). - Cold house you can’t keep warm - lots of drafts because of holes or unevenness in walls, floors, ceilings, windows or doors.
· PHYSICAL & MENTAL HEALTH; physical sickness, stress/ anxiety, depression, other etc, from living in a broken home, dealing with EQC/ Insurance (not hearing from them, changed assessment decisions, no or unreasonable repair /rebuild date, stand over tactics, having to pay a mortgage and rent as well)
So If you, or someone you know is suffering from the actions of their Insurance company / EQC, and you wish to complain, please fill out the following form. Or you can pass this form back to your WECAN rep. or to your local group, or email/submit to WECAN address which is firstname.lastname@example.org
More information about the activities of WeCan visit http://www.wecan-nz.com