Opportunities available are:
1. Child care: To ensure our Moms can attend evening programming, we watch their kiddos Monday - Thursday evenings. Volunteering in child care gives you an opportunity to engage with our kids (ages infant to 12) and to model and direct positive behaviors, all while having fun, playing games and eating snacks! This a great introduction to our families and option for first time volunteers. Must be 16 years old or 12 with parent.
2. Child Mentor Program: Mentoring offers an opportunity for you to build a relationship with one of our kids through sports, games, movies, homework help, etc. Your role is to have fun and be an adult they can trust. We recommend volunteering at least once in childcare before undergoing the background check required for this opportunity. Child care will give you a chance to meet some of our kids and allow them to meet you. Must be 21 years old and have valid driver's license, car insurance, and provide a character reference.
3. Moving Crew: Join our team to help move furniture from our storage garage to one of our apartments and help create a home for a new resident moving to Amethyst Place. (schedule varies)
4.Tutor a Mom in School: We want all Moms to finish their GED and have the opportunity for higher education and better employment opportunities. We need tutors that are comfortable with GED curriculum to help our Moms through the program. Some moms that are in college will also seek help with college level classes.
5. Sort & Organize Donations: Help us sort and organize through the generous contributions from our community so these items can be used by the people who need them! Storage areas are often in building basements (no elevators so navigating stairs is required).
6. Apartment Decorating: Every family in our program comes home to a fully furnished apartment. Our on-call apartment decorators help to turn an empty apartment into a home using donations from the community. Ever dream of being an interior designer? Now is your chance!
7. Household Pantry Assistant: To support all of our families, we have an on-site pantry that supplements their basic needs with food from Harvesters food bank, diapers from Happy Bottoms, and cleaning and hygiene products through Giving the Basics. Our team of volunteers, staff and alumni keep the pantry stocked, organized, clean and open/accessible to our residents and alumni each weekday. Times vary to accommodate our families different availability (2 hour shifts, mostly during the day but Friday 4-6 pm)
Other opportunities come up seasonally or periodically throughout the year. Our volunteer coordinator will be able to assist you with any specific questions or needs you or your group may have. Please fill out the information below and we'll get back in touch with you within 2 business days. THANK YOU!