Booking for Sunday 17th July 2.10pm. Chicksands Priory – 1.5 hour guided tour of this historic priory in the heart of Bedfordshire.
Chicksands Priory has been here since 1150, and has the only surviving remains of a Gilbertine cloister. The Gilbertine Priory was dissolved in 1538.
Twelve generations of the Osborn family have been associated with Chicksands from 1576 to the present day. Eight of these have enjoyed the hereditary title of "Baronet of Chicksands Priory" since it was bestowed on Sir John Osborne, 11th Feb. 1661.
Chicksands Priory now sits on the campus of JFC Chicksands and is the Officers' Mess for JFC Chicksands.. Prior to this the USAF were stationed here (1950) and before that the RAF (1940).
The USAF left in 1995 but in 1998 The Friends of Chicksands were asked to reopen the Priory to the public by the DISC commandant of the day.