Keller ISD Private Lesson Program
Parent Consent Form
The Keller Independent School District has traditionally offered students the opportunity to study privately through an organized private lesson program through the Fine Arts Private Lesson Program. Private lessons are offered as a supplement to classroom instruction. The lessons are designed to utilize the characteristic literature of the instrument, voice, or audition, not to rehearse the literature which a student will be performing in the fine arts classroom. Participation in the supplemental lesson program is optional. All students will have access to supplemental lessons based upon the private instructor’s availability of time.
STUDENT RESPONSIBILITY TO THE PRIVATE INSTRUCTOR
Be fully prepared for each lesson.
Supply the method books and other materials as required by private study.
Participate in all activities required as a condition of private study.
Notify the instructor within 24 hours if a lesson is to be canceled unless there is an
LESSON LOCATION AND SCHEDULING
Lessons will be taught at the school the student attends, except as arrangements needing modifications for summer lessons. Lessons will be scheduled by the private instructor and fine arts teacher. Lessons can be scheduled during the student’s fine arts class, during lunch, and before/after school. No lessons will be scheduled during academic time. Should the instructor be unable to teach a lesson, missed lessons will be made-up. The fine arts teacher will aid the student by advising the private lesson instructor of concerts, programs, holidays, testing, etc., which would result in any interruption of the regular lesson schedule.
Instructors will be paid based on how long they have been working in Keller ISD.
An instructor who has been with the district for 0-5 years will be paid $20 per lesson.
5-10 years will be paid $21 per lesson.
Over 10 years will be paid $22 per lesson
Instructors will be paid directly by the student at the time of the lesson or monthly. Checks should be made payable to the private lesson instructor. Limited partial-lesson scholarships may be available. Check with the campus teacher for eligibility requirements. Should you have specific questions about any part of the program, please contact the student’s teacher.
Parent Information on Policies and Procedures
Please take a moment to read the information below with the detailed information about the program. If you have any further questions, your child's fine arts teacher will be happy to answer them.
● Private lessons are available to any student participating in a middle school or high school fine arts course in the KISD.
Participation is completely voluntary.
● The KISD Private Lesson Program is administered by the Director of Fine Arts and the KISD
fine arts staff
● The private instructors have been recruited, interviewed, and recommended by KISD fine arts teachers.
● Lessons are taught in practice rooms and classrooms of schools during fine arts classes, lunch hour, before or after school. No lessons will be scheduled during academic classes.
● Fees are paid directly to lesson instructors.
● Students provide all instructional materials (books, music etc.)
All students who participate in the program must first complete an application form with the signature of a parent/guardian. These forms are available from either a music private instructor or KISD teacher.
Students are expected to notify music private instructors at least 24 hours in advance of missing a scheduled lesson. The instructor and/or supervising director may make exceptions in the event of sudden illness or emergency. The music private instructor may provide makeup lessons subject to agreement with the students and parents.
The private instructors are allowed to set their own attendance policy as long as it adheres to the following:
● Excused absences will be made up or a credit given as determined by the private instructor. Excused absences will consist of, but not be limited to, school sponsored trips, sickness (with proper notice), school testing, school change of scheduling, circumstances out of student's control (fire alarm, school bus late, etc.)
● Unexcused absences will not be refunded or made up by the instructor. Unexcused absences will consist of, but not limited to, forgetting about lessons, absences (sickness, trips, etc.) without notification, or choosing to do another activity during scheduled lesson time.
Students may stop taking lessons at the end of any month. A student may be dropped by an instructor, with approval of the supervising director, for excessive absences, failure to make satisfactory progress or unacceptable behavior.
Instructors are strongly urged to temporarily postpone student’s lessons if they are behind in payments until that account is caught up to date.
Please complete the enrollment form on the next page and give it to your fine arts teacher if you want to participate in the private lesson program.