April 1865 - Final Exam
Your LAST Name
Your FIRST Name
Your class period
1. On April 1, 1865, the South began its final offensive. The Confederate Army was led by General George E. Pickett, the Union Army by General Philip Sheridan. What was the name of the battle, fought near Petersburg, Virginia?
2. April 2, 1865, was a significant one for both the Union and the Confederacy. General Ambrose P. Hill, a Confederate hero, was killed at the Third Battle of Petersburg. What other event occurred?
Lee's forces defeated a Union force led by General Philip Sheridan
The Confederate Army reinforced Richmond to protect the government
General Sheridan defeated a Confederate force led by General J.E. Johnston
The Confederate government abandoned Richmond
3. On April 3, 1865, Union forces occupied both Petersburg and Richmond. What occurred in Richmond on April 4th?
President Abraham Lincoln visited the city.
Generals Sheridan and Grant made a triumphal tour.
Riots broke out when Union troops arrested citizens
Snipers inthe city killed several Union soldiers
4. On April 6, 1865, the last major engagement of the war occurred. General Sheridan inflicted a devastating defeat on Lee's forces. What was the name of this battlefield?
5. On April 7, 1865, President Lincoln wired this message: "Gen. Sheridan says 'if the thing is pressed I think that Lee will surrender.' Let the thing be pressed." To whom did he send it?
6. On April 9, 1865, Lee launched an attack intended to break through the Union lines. It was the last engagement of the Confederate Army under Lee. The attack failed. What was the result?
Lee surrendered that day to Grant at Appomattox Court House
The Confederate Army refused to surrender and was annihilated
Union forces overran the Confederate lines and captured Lee
Lee was able to escape and join Jefferson Davis.
7. The evening of April 14, 1865, President Lincoln attended a performance of "Our American Cousin" at Ford's Theatre. He was shot by John Wilkes Booth and died the next day. The Booth plot, however, had two other targets that same night. Who were they?
James Speed and Andrew Johnson
William Seward and Edwin Stanton
William Seward and Andrew Johnson
Andrew Johnson and Edwin Stanton
8. On April 17, 1865, Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston and Union General William T. Sherman met to do which of the following?
fight a battle
surrender Johnson's Confederate Army
turn in Jefferson Davis
to discuss slavery
9. On April 26, 1865, what happened at Richard Garrett's farm?
John Wilkes Booth was killed by Union Troops
Lee Surrendered to Grant
Johnson surrendered to Sherman
Lincoln was assisinated
10. On May 2, 1865, how was Jefferson Davis finally captured?
By Union soldiers in womens close
He escaped to Mexico
He escaped to England
Davis was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service