Language Facts: Did you know that...
September 26 is the European Day of Languages? The Department of Foreign Languages would like to celebrate it with you.
Would you like to find out some interesting facts about languages? Try this quiz!
1. How many living languages are there in the world?
between 2000 and 3000
between 4000 and 5000
between 6000 and 7000
2. How many languages are estimated to be indigenous to Europe?
less than 100
3. Most of the world’s languages are spoken in ............ (Continent/s)
4. What percentage of the world’s population is bilingual or plurilingual?
About 25% of the world's population
About 40% of the world's population
At least 50% of the world's population
5. Many languages have 50.000 words or more, but how many of the most common words do people normally use in everyday conversation?
the same few hundred words
at least 3,000 words
more than 3,000 words
6. How many words does a six-year-old child vocabulary include?
between a 500 and 1,000 words
between a 1,100 and 1,900 words
between a 2,100 and 2,200 words
7. Which of the following languages spoken in Europe today is considered to be the oldest?
8. The three non-European languages most widely used on European territory are ....
9. Europe has become largely multilingual. In London alone some ......... languages are spoken.
10. How many different Galician words are there that refer to rain? i.e. babuña, choiva, chuvisca...
between 10 and 20
between 35 and 50
between 60 and 100
Send me a copy of my responses.
This form was created inside of CIFP A Farixa. -
Terms of Service