5th Grade ELA Presidents' Test (2018)
Directions: Carefully read the excerpt from the selection, "Trading Places." Then answer questions 1 through 5 by selecting the best answer.
1. What does the word "straggled" in paragraph 5 suggest about Todd, Amy, and their father?
They are trying to keep the mother from seeing the kitchen.
They are determined to finish the work in the kitchen.
They want to keep close together in the kitchen.
They want to avoid going into the kitchen.
2. Why does Todd and Amy's father refuse to look at the Sixty-Minute Gourmet cookbook?
He thinks that they do not have the skills to make the recipes.
He knows the family does not have the right ingredients.
He knows that the recipes will take too long to make.
He thinks that the mother will dislike the meal.
3. The narrator's description of the conversation in paragraphs 11 through 13 shows that
the family has different ideas about a balanced diet
Amy knows which foods her mother likes best
Todd has experience with cooking
the father relies on his children's knowledge
4. How does paragraph 28 relate to paragraph 8?
Paragraph 28 provides further details about the problem.
Paragraph 28 shows the result of the mother's instructions.
Paragraph 28 presents a summary of the tasks that are introduced.
Paragraph 28 explains how the meal is unlike the mother's request.
5. What do details in paragraphs 1 through 5 suggest about Amy and Todd?
Todd has different interest than Amy does.
Todd is more focused on school than Amy is.
Todd is more interested in watching TV than Amy is.
Todd has a different reaction to his mother's voice than Amy does.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of East Newark School District.
Terms of Service