Motorcycle Council of NSW recreational trail bike rider survey
Trail bike rider feedback is required.
This confidential survey is designed by trail bike riders to help understand current and future requirements to achieve a sustainable active recreational activity that is enjoyed by 75,000 riders in NSW.
Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey.
1. What is your age?
Under 18 years
65 years +
2. What is your occupation?
3. Where do you regularly ride? Tick all the locations you ride at
Watagans State Forest
Ourimbah State Forest
Awaba State Forest
Heaton State Forest
Aberdare State Forest (Kitchener)
Myall River State Forest (Bulahdelah)
Chichester State Forest (Frying Pan Creek)
Coffs Harbour region
Sunny Corner State Forest
Belanglo State Forest
Jellore State Forest
Meryla State Forest
West Nowra State Forest - Yalwal
Wandandian State Forest
Tallaganda State Forest
Bodalla State Forest
Menai Crown Land
Stockton Beach OVR
Mogo State Forest
Kowen State Forest
4. Is your trail bike currently registered
5. If your answer to the above question is no, please tell us why your bike is not registered
I cannot afford the cost of registration
My trail bike cannot be registered
I don't ride my trail bike enough to justify the cost of registration
I don't want to register it as I only ride in state forests/state recreation area/crown land
6. Do you have a current motorcycle license?
7. If your answer to the above question is no, tell us why you do not have a licence
Too young to hold a licence
My licence has been cancelled or suspended
I don't see the need to have one
I don't want a licence as I only ride my trail bike in a state forest/state recreation area/crown land
8. Select the area which best describes where you live.
Sydney Greater West
Sydney South West
Central Coast NSW
Central West NSW
Mid North Coast NSW
Far North Coast NSW
Far West NSW
9. Would you say you are a -
Beginner level rider
Average level rider
Above average level rider
Advanced level rider
10. In a state forest, state recreation area or any legal riding area, have you ever had your licence or registration checked, been warned or fined for riding by a ranger or the NSW Police?
11. In a state forest / state recreation area, do you believe access to your local trail riding areas and trails will be changed in the future ?
12. If you answered yes to the above question, why? Select all applicable responses below.
Environmental issues such as excessive noise , soil erosion , damage to flora and fauna
Local residents have complained to relevant authorities
Safety issues to other trail users such as mountain bikers and bush walkers
Changes to current riding areas such as the establishment of Koala Habitats
13. On average, how often do your ride?
A few times per week
Couple times every month
Once a month
Every few months
A couple of times each year
14. How long does it take you to travel to your regular riding locations?
Under one hour
More than 4 hours
15. How do you get to your riding location?
I ride my trail bike there
Tow ball mounted bike carrier
My bike is already there
16. On average, when you ride, how long do you ride for ?
Less than half a day
Half to full day
17. Why do you ride ? Please tick all applicable answers
For mateship, to spend time with friends
To relax, reduce stress and tension
I enjoy the outdoors and being in the bush / forest / nature
For excitement, speed, adrenalin, thrill
To maintain fitness and to exercise
For my mental health, it makes me feel better / happier
To meet new people , to socialise
It's my hobby
18. How important is trail riding to you?
Not at all important
19. Who do you usually ride with?
My mates and friends
In an organised group
With my family
I ride alone
With whoever I meet when riding
20. Do you belong to a organised club where you pay a membership fee?
21. If you answered no to the above question, how do you arrange your rides?
Social media such as a Facebook Group Page
22. If you use social media, what is the name of your group or what is the group URL?
23. What do you want the MCC of NSW Recreational Trail Bike Riders sub committee to do? Select all answers below
To be a peak body for all recreational trail bike riders
To defend off-road riding opportunities
To actively pursue the needs of riders with NPWS, Foresty Corp, Local Govt, NSW Police and other key stakeholders.
To provide a NSW Trail Bike strategic plan
To promote and encourage safe and responsible riding attitudes.
To improve the perception of trail bike riding as an active recreational activity .
To provide trail rider skills courses to reduce the chance of serious injury
To coordinate rider volunteers to maintain existing trails
24. Would you use a NSW govt recreational registration scheme if it was similar to that in Victoria?
I am unfamiliar with the Victorian govt recreational registration scheme
25. What sort of bike do you ride ?
Road registered Trail / Enduro bike
Unregistered trail / Enduro bike
Road registered adventure bike
26. Where did you buy your current bike?
Direct from the importer
Retailer such as a hardware store that sells dirt bikes
It was given to me
27. What size engine is your trail bike?
Under 225 CC
Between 226 and 725cc
Between 726 and 1125cc
I don't know
28. Did you buy your trail bike new or second hand ?
29. How much did you pay for your last bike ?
Less than $5000
$5000 - 10000
$10000 - 15000
30. Roughly, what percentage of your riding is on sealed roads?
10 - 50%
More than 50%
31. To keep existing trail bike riding areas open in the future, select which of the following options you think will help?
Providing rider volunteer groups to help maintain current trails in conjunction with the land managers ?
Adhere to a trail bike specific area of a state forest that is for registered trail bikes and it also has loading and unloading areas for trail bikes.
Trail signs to help identify and preserve trails
By providing more off road motorcycle parks
By keeping trail bikes restricted to 4WD tracks
Provide more OffRoad Vehicle Recreation areas, OVR 's, for motorcycles only (like Stockton Beach)
32. What are your biggest concerns about trail bike riding ? Tick all your answers below
Noisy bikes annoying residents
Lack of designated riding areas
Cost of registration
Trails being closed
Conflict between trail users - e.g 4WD, mountain bikes, walkers,horses
Risk of being fined
My personal safety resulting from an incident with another trail user - e.g 4WD, another trail bike, mountain bike, horse
Lack of change / toilet / bike washing facilities in legal riding areas
Lack of riding areas for kids
33. What could your local council or the NSW State Govt do for you as a rider ?
Create more riding areas
Reduce rego costs
Manage existing trails better to prevent closure
Provide riding ares for kids
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service