ASN DC Membership Application
The ASN Diversity Committee (DC) seeks to add 2-4 new members starting in January 2021. The DC works to promote diversity, equity, and inclusiveness to enhance the study of evolution, ecology, and behavior and to foster the career of its developing scientists. We pursue initiatives that support marginalized groups, which include helping to create an inclusive, accessible environment at the Evolution conference, the stand-alone ASN meeting, and our field in general. Members serve a 3-year term, and the committee typically meets about once a month.
Many of the DC’s initiatives are created and operated with the DCs of our sister societies, the Society for the Study of Evolution and the Society for Systematic Biologists. Past or ongoing efforts of the ASN DC include:
- Data collection and analysis regarding the demographic composition of ASN
- Creation of guidelines on best practices for awards procedures
- Events at Society meetings including Story Collider and mixers to build community among LGBTQ+ biologists, biologists with disabilities, biologists of color, biologists at PUIs, and parents
- Improving accessibility at Society meetings for scientists with disabilities, scientists of marginalized genders, and scientists who are nursing/caretaking
- Creation of the Inclusiveness, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA) Award to recognize individuals who have strengthened the ecology and evolutionary biology community by promoting inclusiveness and diversity in our fields
Applicants must be members of ASN (join or renew your membership here:
) and have attended at least one Evolution conference or ASN stand-alone meeting in the past.
We welcome participation from members of the community from all backgrounds and all countries, across all career stages (including graduate students and postdocs), and in all career paths. Applicants should submit an application by Wednesday 25 November 2020. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at
Why do you want to join the ASN Diversity Committee?
We aim to include people with a variety of lived experiences so we can better consider different perspectives in our work. Is there something from your lived experience, background, and/or identity that you feel could contribute to the goals of the ASN DC?
What would you like to accomplish as a member of the ASN Diversity Committee? Please share your ideas for events, resources, and other initiatives you'd like to contribute to during your term.
Do you have any experience with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) service? If so, please provide details.
Postdoc / Research associate
Non tenure-track faculty
Have you attended at least one Evolution or ASN stand-alone meeting?
Are you currently a member of ASN?
Is there anything else you would like to share with us?
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service