If confidentiality is the cornerstone of the therapist-patient relationship, it behooves therapists to have an accurate understanding of the laws that affect the confidentiality of patient information. What information must be kept confidential? What information could be shared without an authorization? How can we limit third-party access to outpatient information? What “things” does a practitioner have to do to secure patient information to keep it confidential? In this presentation, David Jensen, J.D., will review California and HIPAA laws regarding the confidentiality of patient information.
Friday, November 10, 2017
8:30 am Registration & Check-In
9 am – 4 pm
12 noon to 1 pm Buffet Lunch
Afternoon Snack Provided
This course qualifies for 6 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the BBS. CAMFT-approved Continuing Education Provider #62274
Participants must be present for the entire workshop to receive CE credit.
First Christian Church
295 E Washington Ave, Chico, CA 95926
1. Compare the “building blocks” of patient information and confidentiality under California law and HIPAA.
2. Describe the structure of California Civil Code § 56.10 and the importance of written authorizations.
3. Explain the relationship between California Civil Code §§ 56.10 and 56.104 and why this relationship is so important for outpatient psychotherapists.
4. Apply the categories of “T-P-O” to patient information under HIPAA.
5. Assess how HIPAA handles the technical aspects of confidentiality differently than California law does
This course meets the qualifications for 6 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Chico Regional Chapter of CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and LEPs. Chico Regional Chapter of CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
Participants must be present for the entire course to receive CE credit. Certificates are handed out at the end of the course when evaluations are received.
Grievances should be communicated to the contact information below. All grievances will be responded to within 1 week of receipt.
Facilities and programs are accessible to persons with disabilities. If you have a special need and plan to attend the workshop, please use the contact information below. Please allow as much advance notice as is possible to ensure we have ample opportunity to meet your needs.
PO Box 2070 Chico CA 95927