1. The church’s buildings should be insured for their full replacement value. Churches should have windstorm coverage (and flood coverage if they are in a flood zone.)
2. The personal property of minister(s) and other staff should be covered. (This includes the minister’s library, pulpit robe/stoles, a personal computer if it is in the church, a musical instrument that belongs to the choir director or accompanist, etc.)
3. Annual review of the inventory of the contents of church building and updating it to add new items purchased.
4. The church should be covered for the theft of money and securities. The amount should be at least as much as the largest offerings of the year. (Easter, Christmas)
5. The Property Committee recommends that each church have General Liability insurance of at least $1,000,000 per occurrence. It also recommends an umbrella policy to increase overall liability coverage. (An umbrella is relatively inexpensive.)
6. Every church should have sexual misconduct coverage for both the church and its Ministers, other staff members and volunteers. The maximum available is sometimes only $300,000 or can be up to $1,000,000. This will not only cover everyone in case something unfortunate happens but it will also cover defending the church and its employees in court if they are wrongly accused.
7. The church should have coverage for any counseling done by the minister or other staff members. This is also legal protection against unfair accusations.
8. The Property Committee recommends coverage for Directors, Officers, and Trustees in case the session and church leaders are sued collectively and individually. (The State of Florida does limit liability for officers and directors.)
9. Churches should have Hired/Non-owned Auto Liability Coverage.This coverage is for anyone who transports people on behalf of the church using their own car or when a church rents a van for an outing---someone driving for a children’s or youth activity, taking an older member to church, taking a meal or communion to a shut-in, etc. If the church rents a car or van for a trip, we recommend purchasing full insurance coverage from the rental company.
10. Most churches are required by law to have Worker’s Compensation coverage.
11. Churches are encouraged to have Employment Practices coverage of $250,000 for claims related to employment, benefits, termination and sexual harassment.