In the past few months, Sunrise helped change US politics. Together with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, we made known the urgency of the climate crisis and relentlessly pushed our politicians for the solution we need -- a Green New Deal. We can tackle the climate crisis and inequality by starting a Green New Deal at the beginning of the next presidency, but to win a Green New Deal, we need to build people power, political power, and stand with other movements for change.
On Saturday, August 10th and Sunday, August 11th, we're hosting a training to level up Sunrisers in the area with the skills to take action for a Green New Deal. If you want to deepen your understanding of Sunrise, build community with like-minded young people in our area, and learn concrete skills for political action, register for the Sunrise Washington Training.
This training is for any young person (under 35 or so) looking for a meaningful way to protect our communities, our shared home, and our future. The training has been designed to be engaging for all experience levels, so whether you're brand new to taking action or a veteran organizer, you'll get a lot out of this experience.
>>> WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THIS TRAINING <<<
1. Lots of time to bond with other Sunrisers in the area2. Learn concrete skills to run Sunrise campaigns for a Green New Deal 3. Get a deeper understanding of Sunrise's story, structure, and strategy
>>> LOGISTICS <<<
- DO I HAVE TO COME to BOTH DAYS?: You are highly encouraged to attend both days of the training if you're able, as the training curriculum builds on itself and you will have more opportunities to learn, grow and bond with other attendees. However, if you aren't able to commit to both days, you are still invited to attend (as long as you commit to coming to as much of the training as you are able).
- LOCATION: Prospect Church at 1919 E Prospect St in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. (We're just using the church for the space--our event is non-sectarian.)
- DATES: Saturday, August 10th and Sunday, August 11th
- TIMES: Saturday 9am-7pm; Sunday 9am-6:30pm
- FOOD: breakfast, lunch and dinner on Saturday, breakfast and lunch on Sunday, and snacks throughout the weekend!
- HOUSING: If you are coming from out of town, we will help match you to Sunrise hosts! You are also encouraged to reach out to friends/family of your own in Seattle.
- COST: Local hubs in Sunrise fund themselves, and we're run by young people (read: we don't have a lot of money). As such, we ask all participants to pay a suggested registration fee of $5-60 to help us cover the costs of this training (including meals, space, materials, etc.). That said, we do not want cost to be a barrier to anyone -- so ultimately, we just ask people to pay what they can. You can pay the registration donation through our Venmo, which is @sunrise_washingtonstate. Please include a message with your donation saying it's for the training. (If you're not able to make a donation, that's totally fine. We want everyone to come.)
>>> CONTACT INFO <<<For any questions, reach out to Andrew at firstname.lastname@example.org.