This institution is truly a God-given gift between a husband and wife, intended to be a reflection of the relationship between Christ and the Church. So, as a community we ask that the day of the wedding be preceded by a pre-marital counseling workshop for the purpose of understanding the commitment, sacrifice, and forgiveness necessary in this life-long depiction.
Our premarital workshops are held in Winter, Spring, and Fall; if you're unable to attend, we're glad to refer you to some additional counselors. Once we've received this info, we'll send you details about our upcoming workshop along with any pastoral offication you may need.
Here are some of the guidelines we’ll discuss and initial questionnaire, followed by some helpful things-to-note:
Are you willing to discuss what it means to steward your relationship around Christ's patterns and practices?
• 2) We’d ask that you and your fiancé would have a similar commitment to Christ, since the heart of marriage is deep, worshipful oneness. From a scriptural perspective, when your spouse identifies with the central worship of your heart, deep unity is truly possible. (2 Corinthians 6:14-15)
Are both of you Christ-followers? If not, are you willing to sort through this with a pastor? If you have any questions or concerns as you read through these guidelines please feel free to email Jonathan Wallace, our marriage and family pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org) to have additional conversation before beginning the premarital/officiation process.
Listen to our "Love, Sex, God" series for some initial clarification: idcpdx.com/sermon-series/love-sex-god/
• Cost: There is no cost to participate in our premarital counseling workshop. However, you'll need to purchase individual workbooks and pay for a SYMBIS assesment for a total of around ($60 per couple). For an offication, the suggested honorarium for a pastor performing your ceremony is $250 paid directly to the minister. If there is a financial hardship involved, feel at ease to discuss this with your pastor.
• Our workshop format is a Friday evening session on Christ's intent for our marriages, followed with an all day Saturday session about how to practically nurture a marriage that will last. You'll use the Saving Your Marriage Before it Starts book, and assessment test to help you understand the uniqueness in caring for your relationship.
• Offication rehearsal and reception: The pastor will generally conduct the wedding rehearsal at the couple’s scheduled time and most are able to act as simple coordinators related to stage placement and order of service. Regretfully, pastors are not always able to attend rehearsal dinners or receptions, but it is our hope to connect with and know you through the process!
• Out-of-town weddings: Some pastors will perform out-of-town ceremonies, but be sure to plan on paying for any necessary travel expenses and accommodations, along with a precise address to the wedding facility.