NICHOLAS GREEN DISTINGUISHED STUDENT AWARDS 2019
FLAG is pleased to announce the Nicholas Green Distinguished Student Awards program for 2019. Originally funded by the Nicholas Green Foundation and NAGC, this award program is designed to recognize distinguished achievement in academics, leadership, or the arts, in children grades 3 through 6. One child in Florida per year will be named the Nicholas Green Distinguished Student and that winner receives a savings bond (worth $500 at maturity,) and a FLAG Certificate of Excellence.
The Nicholas Green Foundation was established by Maggie and Reg Green to honor the memory of their seven-year-old son Nicholas who was killed in a drive-by shooting while visiting Italy in 1994. The Greens started the Distinguished Student Awards because they wanted to recognize young people that are working hard to make the most of their lives and develop their unique gifts and talents, and who are now about the age that Nicholas was when he died. The Nicholas Green Foundation began funding these awards in the 1998-1999 school year.
Students are selected during the school year and the awards are presented at each state’s annual conference. The FLAG/NAGC conference will be held in Brevard County, Florida in Fall 2019, where the Florida winner will receive their award. FLAG will publish the name of the Distinguished Student in the association newsletter, and the winning student will be featured on the FLAG website.
FLAG believes that the Nicholas Green Distinguished Student Awards inspire children to achieve to their fullest potential, highlight high-ability students, and draw attention to the educational needs of our nation’s gifted and talented students.
NICHOLAS GREEN DISTINGUISHED STUDENT AWARDS
• One Distinguished Student Award recipient may be selected per state.
• Applicants must be going into either grades 3, 4, 5, or 6 during the 2019-20 school year.
• Applicants may demonstrate excellence in one or more of the following areas: visual or performing arts, academic achievement, or leadership.
• The award consists of a savings bond (worth $500 at maturity,) and a FLAG Certificate of Excellence.
WINNERS MUST CREATE A VIDEO OR SLIDE SHOW TO PRESENT AT THE ANNUAL CONFERENCE IN FALL 2019 (Oct. 11 or 12, specific date/time to be announced)
• FLAG will accept self-nominations and nominations from parents, teachers, students, and community and civic groups.
• All announcements about the awards must include reference to the open nomination process.
• Students must be going into either grades 3, 4, 5, or 6 at the time of nomination.
• Outstanding student accomplishment may be in one or more of the following areas: academics, visual or performing arts, or leadership.
• Student applicants must submit an essay describing (a) the activity or interest area for which the student is being nominated; (b) how the student got interested/involved in the activity; (c) what impact the activity has had on the student and on others; and (d) how the student’s future plans and goals have been affected by this activity or interest area.
• Applications must include at least one letter of recommendation from someone other than a nominee’s family member, explaining why the student nominee is deserving of the award, what sets him or her apart from other students, and how the nominee is impacting others.
Current FLAG Board Members and family members of Current FLAG Board Members are not eligible for this award.
SUBMISSION TO Florida Association for the Gifted, Inc (FLAG)
• Upon receipt of nomination packet, FLAG will provide e-mail confirmation to the contact listed on the Student Selection Form.
• A selection committee will review the application and make awards based on merit. Selection of the award winner will be completed by August 30, 2019.
• The award winner for the state of Florida will receive a FLAG Certificate of Excellence and a savings bond at the 2018 FLAG Conference.
• The award winner will be presented to the public at the Annual FLAG State Conference (date and location TBA).
• Digitally send photo(jpeg) and teacher/s letter/s of recommendation (PDF) via attachments by 5pm on June 1, 2019 to:
PR Committee Chairperson
Student First Name
Student Last Name
School Grade student will be enrolled in during the 2019-20 School Year
Student applicants must submit an essay describing (a) the activity or interest area for which the student is being nominated; (b) how the student became interested/involved in the activity; (c) what impact the activity has had on the student and on others; and (d) how the student’s future plans and goals have been affected by this activity or interest area.
NICHOLAS GREEN DISTINGUISHED STUDENT AWARD 2017-18 RELEASE FORM
I hereby give the Florida Association for the Gifted, Inc. (FLAG) permission to use my son or daughter’s photo and essay, submitted in connection with the Nicholas Green Distinguished Student Award, in any publicity or announcements FLAG may make about the award or the award winners.
I further grant permission to FLAG to use my son or daughter’s name, school name, city, and state in any publicity or announcement that uses his or her photo or composition, and to make any necessary edits to the length of the essay.
I understand that neither I, nor my son or daughter, will receive any remuneration in connection with this permission.
Parent / Guardian Digital Signature
Parent / Guardian Name
Parent / Guardian Street Address
Parent Guaridan Daytime Phone
Parent / Guardian Email
Relationship to Nominee
A copy of your responses will be emailed to the address you provided.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service