Hydraulic Institute - Test Your Knowledge for PSAP Certification Exam Readiness
The following sample quiz contains 9 questions that represent the type of questions featured on the PSAP Exam. This quiz has been designed to help you gauge your understanding and knowledge level of the PSAP content.
Participants who score 7 or higher, please visit
for more information about the PSAP Certification Exam and approval process. Participants who score 6 or lower, please visit
for additional tools and guides to help further prepare you for the PSAP Certification Exam.
1. Estimate the hydraulic efficiency of a flooded suction pump, pumping 70° F water using the following field measured conditions: amperage 71.1; voltage 482 V; power factor 0.9; flow 2500 gpm; suction pressure 2.8 psi; discharge pressure 29.9 psi; motor efficiency 93%; VFD efficiency 97%
A.) 56 %
2. A rotodynamic pump is operating in a closed system with the following related conditions: liquid level above pump centerline 15ft; suction vessel pressure at top of liquid level 10 psia; suction friction losses 2.0 ft; liquid vapor pressure 5.4 psia; atmospheric pressure 14.7 psia; liquid specific gravity 0.8; Suction velocity head is negligible; Suction nozzle 8 inch ID. What is the system NPSHA?
A.) 26.3 ft
B.) 21.3 ft
C.) 57.5 ft
D.) 23.5 ft
3. What is the most common reason for installing pumps in series?
A.) To increase head.
B.) To increase flow.
C.) To increase efficiency.
D.) To increase reliability.
4. What type of throttling valve is LEAST likely to result in a water hammer system condition when opening or closing:
A.) globe valve.
B.) butterfly valve.
C.) gate valve.
D.) ball valve.
5. Process flow diagrams can provide a useful overview of a pumping system. Process flow diagrams do NOT:
A.) identify major components.
B.) indicate process flow direction.
C.) show dimensional data.
D.) reference temperatures and pressures.
6. The amount of slip in a positive displacement pump is affected by:
A.) Fluid properties and pressure.
B.) system discharge pressure and fluid viscosity.
C.) system discharge pressure and speed.
D.) fluid viscosity and speed.
7. Which element of the Life Cycle Cost (LCC) typically represents the largest expense?
A.) Initial Cost (Cic)
B.) Installation Cost (Cin)
C.) Energy Cost (Ce)
D.) Maintenance and Repair Cost (Cm)
8. To achieve real results from an energy assessment, the assessment should be viewed as:
A.) a means of determining LCC.
B.) a way to identify opportunities for reducing energy consumption.
C.) a way to identify opportunities for reliability improvements.
D.) an initial step to implementation.
9. For reciprocating pumps what term needs to be considered when evaluating the net positive inlet pressure available to the pump, which is not considered with rotary pumps?
A.) The atmospheric pressure
B.) The acceleration pressure
C.) The system discharge pressure
D.) The system suction pressure
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service