Seattle Music Partners Volunteer Application 2020 - 2021
This application is for anyone interested in volunteering to work with our 4th and 5th graders in an after-school virtual one on one setting.
We're looking for volunteers who have:
1. Strong music skills
2. A passion for working with children
3. An interest in teaching virtually
4. An interest in community service
5. Strong communication skills
6. An interest in building community with staff, tutors and students
7. No prior teaching experience necessary, but a commitment to growth is a must
Volunteer Virtual Tutor
Tutors work one-on-one with a student, mentoring them and teaching them to play their instrument via Zoom. After each lesson, all Tutors meet with an adult Lesson Supervisor for 20 minutes to debrief, get advice, offer advice to other tutors, etc. Here is SMP's Tutor schedule:
Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday
4:00 - 5:00 pm
- 40 minute lesson
- 20 minute debrief session
New and returning tutors will have a volunteer orientation before SMP's programming begins. This date will be announced once we compile our entire list of volunteers.
Tutor sessions will likely start the week of October 19th.
**We are not currently offering any Student Assistant volunteer opportunities, if you are only interested in that please send us an email at
and we will add you to our prospective volunteer list and keep you updated if we will offer a similar position later in the year**
SMP offers the following instruments: violin, cello, flute, clarinet, trumpet, and trombone.
Due to the challenges associated with the virtual lesson setting, saxophone, viola, and percussion will only be offered for returning SMP students.
If you play more than one instrument or an instrument other than the ones listed above, you're still a GREAT candidate! For example: A sax player could probably teach a beginning clarinetist with ease and expertise! A string bass or viola player can provide solid instruction to a beginning violinist or cellist!
The goal of our volunteering program is to engage and inspire a beginning music student. We expect our volunteers to be positive role models and mentors. In order for our volunteers to be well-prepared, safe, and effective in their role we require that volunteers:
1. Complete their application materials in full.
2. Attend volunteer orientation.
3. Commit to attending after-school sessions for the full commitment time each week on the day they are assigned.
4. Have consistent attendance – 3 unexcused absences is grounds for dismissal from the program.
5. Give clear/advance communication about scheduling and any conflicts.
6. Read and reply to emails or phone calls from program staff.
7. Comply with rules regarding conduct in public schools and safe supervision of students.
8. Be high school aged or older.
9. Have parent permission (unless 18 or older).
10. Ensure that 2 letters of recommendation are submitted before beginning to tutor. (Please have the name, email and phone number of your two references ready to submit at the end of this application. Returning tutors are exempt from this requirement.)
Sound like your kind of program? Click on to the next page of the application! Thank you for your interest!
Note: This is a pretty extensive application, complete with an essay question on why you'd like to join us this year. We think it will probably take you about 20 minutes to complete. There's no opportunity for you to save your work and come back to it, so please be ready to complete this in one sitting. Thanks!
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service