A process to review and investigate all complaints and allegations against the Bloomington Police Department, or its members, is essential to maintain the confidence of the community as well as to protect the integrity and rights of the Department and its members.
The following provides an explanation of how to file a complaint and the process used to investigate it.
INFORMATION YOU NEED TO KNOW PRIOR TO FILING A COMPLAINT:
1. In order to conduct a thorough investigation it is important that we be able to contact you for a follow-up interview. Therefore, we need you to provide your current contact information
2. A complete and detailed description of the event should be provided, including date, time, location, descriptions of witnesses or persons involved (if their names are not known), etc.
3. A formal process will be followed using standard investigatory methods to reach a disposition. You will receive a response to your complaint in writing from the Chief of Police or his/her designee.
4. If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the investigation, you may file a written appeal to the Board of Public Safety for a review of the investigation and reconsideration of the disposition.
STEPS IN THE PROCESS:
1. A complaint is filed by a member of the public.
2. The complaint is brought to the attention of the Chief of Police through the chain of command.
3. The most appropriate means to review and investigate the incident is determined.
4. The complainant, witnesses, and the member are contacted and interviewed.
5. A report is compiled and submitted to the Chief of Police by the staff member assigned to conduct the investigation.
6. The Chief of Police makes a determination, based on facts presented, as to the appropriate disposition.
7. The complainant and the accused member receive written notification of the outcome of the investigation.
8. If a complainant wishes to remain anonymous, he or she should use John or Jane Doe in the “Your name” field and should place the address of the Department, 220 E. 3rd St., in the “Your address” field. However, it should be understood that the Department will be unable to contact the complainant for an interview or provide the complainant with notification of the outcome of the investigation.
Should you have any questions regarding the processing of your complaint, please direct them to the Chief of Police at the following address or phone (812) 349-3308.
Bloomington Police Department220 E 3rd St.Bloomington, IN 47401