Grade 4 ELA "Presidents' Test"
Directions: Read the article, Pioneer Fun. Then answer questions 1 through 7.
1. Which information most contributes to the organization of paragraph 1?
A. the comparison to the toys of today
B. the explanation of the problem of transportation
C. the mention of the cause for only a few trips to town
D. the use of words and numbers that indicate periods of time
2. Which sentence gives the best evidence that readers can relate the article to their own lives?
A. "Town stores featured candy, jump ropes, marbles, books that were designed to teach children good behavior, china and paper dolls." (paragraph 2)
B. "Without store-bought toys, pioneer children made their own fun out of what they had." (paragraph 3)
C. "Some of the games they played have been memorized and handed down from generation to generation and are still played today, like hopscotch, jump rope, hide and seek, and 'Mother, May I'?" (paragraph 4)
D. "Step back in time and try your hand at making these toys from over 100 years ago." (paragraph 5)
3. Which sentence best supports a main idea of the article?
A. "For pioneer children growing up in the 1800s, the nearest town could be days away by horseback or covered wagon." (paragraph 1)
B. "Most pioneer families had little money for fun and games." (paragraph 2)
C. "Without store-bought toys, pioneer children made their own fun out of what they had." (paragraph 3)
D. "Today, pioneer crafts and games are just as much fun." (paragraph 5)
4. In the "Whirligig" instructions, which step relates to positioning an object?
A. step 1
B. step 2
C. step 3
D. step 4
5. Step 1 for making a tin can lantern is helpful because
A. nails will not puncture the hard surface created by the ice inside
B. it allows the lantern maker to avoid smashing in the side of the can
C. a hard surface will allow the lantern maker to draw detailed patterns
D. it allows the lantern maker to avoid scratching the surface of the can
6. Which definition of "secure" best matches its use in step 5 of "Tin Can Lantern"?
A. to remove from danger
B. to get for oneself
C. to protect an area
D. to attach firmly
7. Which object was most likely useful for the entire family?
C. tin can lanterns
D. clay marbles and beads
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of East Newark School District.
Terms of Service