Referee Quiz - The Holiday Scrum - 2016
Welcome to the Potomac Rugby Referee Society's Law Quiz - The Holiday Scrum. All questions assume the 15's version of the game with no variations unless otherwise specified. The answers are to the letter of the law and not geared towards game management, again unless otherwise specified. After you submit your answers you will be able to see your score and an explanation for each answer. You will also have the ability to take the quiz a 2nd time. Please direct all questions, comments or suggestions for future quizzes to our Training Officer, Ken Fraine (
1. RED has the scrum (e.g., their throw in) 5m out from the WHITE goal line. The RED hooker wins the scrum and RED drives WHITE towards their goal line. Just before the ball reaches the goal line and with the ball under her feet, RED 8 unbinds from the scrum, gently kicks the ball forward with her foot, and places her hand on the ball just as it crosses the goal line. What does the correct call by the referee?
22m dropout to WHITE.
5m scrum, RED throws in.
5m scrum, WHITE throws in.
PK to WHITE for RED 8 illegally unbinding from the scrum.
None of the above.
2. BLACK is awarded the scrum and throws in. BLACK 2 wins the hook and the ball is moved to BLACK 8, the ball is playable by BLACK 9. Prior to the ball leaving the scrum, GOLD 3 lifts up BLACK 1. The referee
5m scrum, RED throws in
must immediately stop play and award a PK to BLACK.
give advantage to BLACK and allow BLACK 9 to play the ball.
stop play and restart the scrum, BLACK throws in. Warn GOLD 3.
None of the above
3. BLUE is awarded the scrum and throws in. The RED team drives before the ball is thrown in and BLUE is awarded a FK. Two scrums later the same offense by RED occurs. The referee should
award a FK to BLUE.
escalate the FK to a PK to BLUE, and issue a YC to the offending RED player.
escalate the FK to a PK.
stop play and award another scrum to BLUE. Warn the RED captain about repeated infringements.
4. After the "crouch" call, the referee must ensure that (check all that apply)
all players are square (with feet facing forward)
all shoulders are in a straight line (loosehead’s shoulder not tucked under their hooker)
both front rows should have shoulders no lower than their hips
both front rows are interlocked, ear to ear, and there is no head to head contact
the props are properly bound to their opposites
5. In which of the following scenarios is the ball out of the scrum (assuming no penalties)?
When a ray of sunshine can strike the ball
When the scrumhalf places one hand on the ball
When the hindmost player of the side in possession unbinds
When the scrumhalf places two hands on the ball
When the ball leaves the scrum in any direction
When the ball is on or over the goal line
6. Props are allowed to change the bind on their opponents after engagement as long as it remains legal.
7. BLUE 9 throws in the ball at the scrum, but the RED 2 wins the hook. RED 9 moves to behind RED 8 to get in position to play the ball. BLUE 9 follows RED 9 and moves into a defensive position between RED 7 and RED 8, places one foot beyond the ball, but does not interfere with RED 9 as he picks up and throws the ball to RED 10. What is the correct call by the referee?
Manage by warning the RED 9 not to interfere with BLUE 9
FK to RED for BLUE 9 stepping in front of the ball
PK advantage to RED for offside by BLUE 9
8. USA 7s pool play, RSA vs. Argentina: RSA scrumhalf throws in the ball at a scrum, ARG hooker strikes the ball in the direction of RSA's goal line. The referee
awards a FK to RSA.
awards a PK to RSA.
stops plays, awards a scrum, RSA throws in.
None of the above
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service