Raymond Ackerman Academy - Application Form
The Raymond Ackerman Academy of Entrepreneurial Development (RAA) is a post-matric level academy based at the University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business. The RAA offers an inspiring and innovative six month, full time course in entrepreneurial development.
The Academy aims to assist youth in developing their entrepreneurial mind-set and vision. The course empowers young people on their entrepreneurial journey while developing their business and life skills. It builds up on existing skills and allows students to express themselves and their creativity.
The RAA has years of experience in developing entrepreneurial mind-sets in young people. We therefore invite you to apply to the innovative, creative and practical course that will support you to:
Build your entrepreneurial mind-set
Learn business skills
You are your most important asset, so we invite you to invest in yourself!
The course is open to youth between the ages of 18 and 35, who have had limited opportunity to access tertiary education due to financial constraints or other circumstances.
- Age: 18 – 35 [Applicants should not turn 36 during the programme and applicants older than 29 are considered when they
have had little work or study experience and who are in need of significant business and personal development]
- South African citizen or in possession of a valid South African residence permit
- Grade 12 Certificate. (This is looked at on a case-by-case basis if applicants have not completed high school). Applicants
without a Grade 12 certificate must have work or volunteer experience.
- An interest in business (not necessary to have your own business)
- No previous tertiary qualifications/degrees/national diplomas (or not more than one year completed towards a tertiary
qualification and not registered to study part-time at another institution
- Able to travel to the Academy daily. Accommodation is not provided
Each student is looked at holistically – this includes an assessment of their activities post matric, interest in personal development through education, passion, drive, ambitions, ability to work in a team and their entrepreneurial mind-set.
PLEASE CONTACT US SHOULD YOU NEED HELP COMPLETING OR SENDING THIS FORM AND WE WILL CALL BACK AND ASSIST
Applicants must complete the application form below and submit this to the Academy. The application form includes 3 questions that must be completed in full, these relate to entrepreneurship and your motivation for wanting to attend the course.
Short-listed candidates will be invited to a selection workshop and an interview, after which final selection is made.
30 students are chosen per course in Cape Town.
* Please note that final selection is at the discretion of the Academy selection committee *
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a selection workshop and interviews. You must be able to attend in order to be eligible for selection on to the programme. No exceptions will be made.
Course Start Dates:
The course will start in January 2020 and will finish in June 2020
General Course Information:
Lectures are conducted from Monday to Friday, 09h00 to 16h00 daily.
This is a full time programme, i.e. it is not a part-time or modular program.
The timetable is comprised of lectures, group work learning activities and self-directed learning. Participation in all aspects
of the curriculum is compulsory.
All lectures and group work are held at the University of Cape Town’s Graduate School of Business (GSB).
Financial Assistance is available, if awarded students must participate in volunteer days.
Students are only required to pay a fee of R2 500.00 for the course.
The programme is generously subsidised by Mr Raymond Ackerman and is valued at approximately R 30 000 per student.
We recognise that some students may have difficulty in meeting this requirement and can apply for financial assistance. Financial assistance students will be required to participate in volunteer days which the Academy organises.
for more details on the application requirements.
Please complete the following application form and submit together with the relevant documentation (see checklist at the end of this form).
SECTION 1: ESSAY QUESTIONS
Please answer each of the questions below, and attach your essays to the application form. Each answer should be at least one page, i.e. 500 – 1000 words (size 11 font typed or clearly hand written).
1. Why would you like to study at the Raymond Ackerman Academy? Include in your essay how you think this programme will help you in your career and/or to becoming an entrepreneur and where you see yourself in 5 years’ time (you can include your goals, areas of interest(s), what you are hoping to achieve in your career etc.)
2. Please write a short personal history of yourself. Include in the essay: 3 words you would use to describe yourself, as well as any information you would like to include on your background, your achievements, your strengths, areas you would like to develop, your biggest challenge(s) and how you overcame it etc.
3. What is your understanding of having an entrepreneurial mind-set?
Please complete the following by ticking the relevant boxes:
Comfortable with uncertainty
Easily stressed by uncertainty
Easily stressed by change
Gives up easily
Manages time well
Lacks confidence with creativity
Relies on support from others
Struggles with being resourceful
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service