GUTS! Volunteer Application
Thank you for your interest in being a GUTS! volunteer and mentor!
YAY-- You are in the right place. Please complete the below application.
If you have questions and would like to chat via phone or email, we're happy to talk with you!
Contact Tess, GUTS! Program Coordinator, by email at
or phone (406) 543-6691
*Applications will be accepted on rolling basis and are due before training.
*Training is required, though a make-up training can be arranged with prior notice.
Fall 2020 Training Dates: 5 hours, over 2 nights in late August or early September. Exact dates TBD.
Action Group Facilitator Volunteer Position Description:
A leadership program of YWCA Missoula, GUTS! is a unique, community-based leadership and empowerment program designed by and for girls and young women*, ages 9 to 18.
Action Group Facilitators lead weekly Action Groups made up of girls* from Missoula’s elementary, middle and high schools. A GUTS! Action Group Facilitator must be a creative, caring, supportive, open-minded and dedicated person, committed to creating a safe environment for young people to discuss real issues in their lives. The facilitator supports the group participants in discovering their strengths, developing their leadership skills, and using their voices to activate positive community change. Plus, they must have a great sense of humor and be willing to have tons of fun!
*GUTS! is open to girls, women, gender diverse people or those who identify with girlhood/womanhood or feel they could benefit from leading a GUTS! group. We welcome non-binary, gender non-conforming, gender fluid, two-spirit, and transgender participants and volunteers.
*It is the YWCA Missoula's policy to not discriminate against any persons based on race, physical or mental disability, religion, national origin, sex, age, creed, physical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression.*
A facilitator must:
1. Make a commitment to volunteer for at least an entire semester (September—December; February-May) and preferably an entire year if beginning in the fall.
2. Participate in two evenings of Action Group Facilitator training at the YWCA (2, 2 hour sessions).
3. Attend each scheduled once weekly GUTS! Group.
4. Attend volunteer meetings (1-2 per semester) if your schedule accommodates!
5. Be on time to all scheduled groups, meetings, and community adventures if applicable.
6. Come well prepared with activities, points of discussion, materials, etc.
7. Create a supportive, respectful, open, comfortable, and fun learning environment.
8. Keep in good communication with co-facilitator, GUTS! staff, and School/Flagship coordinator.
9. Keep attendance sheets and a brief description of main events, challenges, and successes of each group.
10. Fill out all evaluation forms provided and return to GUTS! staff by the end of each semester’s Action Group.
Other qualifications may include:
• Experience working with youth and/or curiosity and passion for supporting young people/girls.
• Knowledge of and/or interest in gender-based social issues and other social justice issues.
• Experience facilitating groups.
• Indoor skills (arts & crafts, music, dance, performance, etc.).
• Outdoor skills (biking, backpacking, survival skills, gardening, naturalist skills, etc.).
As of June 19, 2020, our school district boards have not made a decision about whether volunteers will be allowed in schools. If we are not allowed to host programs on-site, we will try our best to offer virtual programs over Zoom. This is a new entity for us, so we thank you in advance for your patience. We look forward to continuing to serve our community through GUTS! Programming, no matter the format, and we hope you will too!
Do you have any dietary restrictions?
Education (Please describe your education. Include education received and any courses/classes that may be relevant to GUTS!)
Volunteer / Work Experience (Please list related work and/or volunteer experience. Include name, description of work, and dates of work/service.
References (Please list two references including their phone numbers)
Why do you want to volunteer with GUTS!?
How did you find out about the GUTS! Program?
What can you offer the GUTS! program and its participants?
Do you have any experience working with youth or girls ages 9 to 18? If so, could you tell us about that experience?
What problems do you think young women face today?
Tell us about something you’ve accomplished that makes you proud.
What work, if any, have you done in understanding and combating racism? In what ways has race impacted your life?
Public policy priorities for the YWCA Missoula include policies that confront bias at all levels in society. YWCA policies support a wide variety of rights including reproductive choice, freedom of sexual orientation, and the elimination of racism. Do these policies mesh or conflict with your personal values?
Any criminal record?
If answered yes- Please explain.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service