For additional Retreat information, please refer to our website where you will find pictures and more details regarding accommodations, retreat facilities, travel options, and retreat format. If you have not previously attended a Cascadia Insight Dialogue Retreat, we recommend you visit the website first before completing this application.
For assistance with the application process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on Insight Dialogue and teachings on relational Dhamma, please visit Metta Programs at www.metta.org.
1. If you apply by April 18, 2019, the retreat cost is U.S $600. This fee covers accommodations for 7 nights, 21 meals, and retreat expenses. If you apply after April 18, 2019, the fee is U.S. $630.
2. FOR US RESIDENTS, make your U.S. dollar check out to CASCADIA INSIGHT DIALOGUE COMMUNITY and mail it to Cascadia Retreat, c/o Uli Johnson, 319 Sawyer St. NE, Olympia, WA 98506, USA.
US residents may also choose to use PayPal. Please read the"Instructions for Paying by PayPal" below and note the requested additional payment if you make your PayPal payment with a credit or debit card instead of through the direct withdrawal method from your bank account.
3. FOR NON-US RESIDENTS, use PayPal and the following instructions.
Due to the extreme currency discrepancy, Canadian residents who feel the need may deduct up to U.S. $125 from their registration fee.
These instructions are also posted on our website: www.cascadiainsightdialogue.com .
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PAYING BY PAYPAL
A. Go to www.paypal.com. If you do not have an established account for PayPal to make withdrawals directly from your bank account, you will first need to set this up with PayPal. Please allow yourself 4 or 5 days to complete the set-up process as it requires several steps.
B. IF, instead of the bank account withdrawal method mentioned above, YOU CHOOSE TO USE A CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD TO MAKE A PAY PAL PAYMENT, PLEASE ADD $18 to your payment (i.e. for a total of $628 by April 18, 2019, or $658 after April 18). This covers the fee that PayPal will charge Metta Programs which is accepting PayPal payments on behalf of Cascadia Retreat.
C. Once your account is established, select the "Personal" Tab at the top.
D. Select "Transfer" Tab and then select “Send Someone Money.”
E. Enter "email@example.com" for the email address of the person to whom you wish to send your payment.
F. Enter the amount of your contribution and choose U.S. DOLLARS as your currency.
G. Hit “Continue” or “Send.” You will be asked to log in with your password. You will then see the amount of your payment and its intended recipient (firstname.lastname@example.org).
H. Scroll down to the message option, and enter “Payment is for 2019 Annual Cascadia Retreat.”
I. If you pay with a PayPal Balance or Bank Account transfer, there is no transaction fee. If you pay with a credit or debit card, there will be a transaction fee. Refer to "B" above.
J. Complete your transaction by selecting “Send.”
----------------------------------END OF PAYPAL INSTRUCTIONS--------------------------------
4. Your application is not complete until we receive your payment. The Cascadia Retreat Registrar will inform you via email upon receipt of your online application and payment. (Please know that we are an all-volunteer team, so it may take a few days after your payment has arrived before you receive confirmation.) 5. If you have additional questions or concerns regarding payment or want to know whether your payment has been received, contact email@example.com. In the subject heading, specify “financial question.” If you need to pay in installments, please contact us.
6. The teachers and retreat organizers receive no pay for putting on this retreat. We invite participants to practice DANA (generosity) through freewill donations at the end of the retreat to support the teachers and the teachings. To learn more about the tradition of teachings being offered through DANA, please see our website: www.cascadiainsightdialogue.com.
THURSDAY, APRIL 26: Registration deadline for applicants arriving from a distance who require assistance with bedding, cushions, or transportation. We will need some time to fulfill your requests.
THURSDAY, MAY 6: Registration for all applicants will close at the end of the night.
You will find the on-line application form at the end of these registration instructions. If you have questions you need answered before completing the on-line application form, feel free to exit this site and contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org). When you reopen the link, you will start the application form from the beginning again.
If you need to correct or change your application form after submission, simply email us your changes, requesting "Change my info" in the subject heading.
Please note: Accommodation preference and scholarships will be granted on a first-come first-served basis. The date used for this determination will be the date by which we have received BOTH of the following items: 1. your completed online application form, AND 2. either your U.S. check in the mail, or your PayPal payment
• Enter your payment to the retreat less your scholarship request. Submit this amount and your application form as soon as possible. You will hear back from Cascadia Retreat confirming your request and availability of funds. Our ability to offer scholarships is contingent on the scholarship funds available. Please email us your questions and concerns regarding scholarships. Although we have been able to fulfill all scholarship requests in the past six years, we urge you to apply early to avoid disappointment. • Our current scholarship funds are sourced mostly from gifts offered by past and current registrants. We hope you might feel moved to contribute $25 or more beyond the retreat fee in support of the scholarship fund. If so, please add that amount to your payment, and know that your generosity will help make these retreats accessible to as many as possible.
• We received a donation of funds earmarked for People-of-Color Scholarships for the Retreat. Practitioners-of-color in need of financial support may use the code SPOC to request a scholarship of up to $400 (instead of $200.)
If there are at least 8 to 10 retreatants flying into Sea-Tac Airport on Saturday, May 18, arriving no later than 1:00 PM, the Cascadia Retreat Team will arrange for a shuttle to take them directly from the airport to the retreat location. The cost of the shuttle will be divided among passengers and has been approximately $50 (including gratuity) each way with ten passengers.
C. At the end of the retreat, if you plan to fly out of Seattle-Tacoma Airport (Sea-Tac), please try to choose flights leaving AFTER 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 25. Lunch ends at 1:00 p.m. The drive to Sea-Tac takes around 1.5 hours in normal traffic.
If there are at least 8 to 10 retreatants flying out of Sea-Tac at the end of the retreat, the Cascadia Retreat Team will arrange for a shuttle to take them directly from the retreat to the airport. Exact departure time from Samish Island Camp will be set to best accommodate everyone's flight schedules. The earliest that the shuttle would leave Samish Island Camp would be 1:00 p.m., arriving Sea-Tac around 3:00 p.m. The cost of the shuttle will be divided among passengers and has been approximately $50 (including gratuity) each way with 10 passengers.
D. For those who wish to carpool, either to offer or to ask for rides, please indicate carpool availability and transportation needs on the registration form. Because retreatants need to bring their own bedding and meditation cushions, please allow adequate space in your vehicle for these items when considering how many passengers you can take.
E. Bedding and meditation cushions: Retreatants need to bring their own bedding, pillows, towels, and meditation gear. Members of the local Insight Dialogue community will personally lend bedding, meditation mat (zabuton) and meditation cushion (zafu) to retreatants traveling by plane, train, or bus. Be sure to indicate your needs on the registration form.
F. Accommodation options (If desired, check out our website for photos and more detailed information regarding the following accommodation options.)
1. Single-occupancy rustic cabins: these individually heated units with (6' x 32") bunk beds share common washrooms/shower houses located within a short walk.
2. Double-occupancy rooms with adjacent toilet and shower facilities: these individually heated rooms have in-room sinks, one queen and one double-size bed.
3. Double-occupancy rooms: these are the same as #2 (above) but with common toilet and shower facilities located a short distance away.
4. Tent space (bring own tent and equipment). In case of harsh weather, you will have the option of using a bunk bed inside a large shared cabin.
5. RV or camper space (Add $20 to registration fee for this option.) 6. For special needs only: There are a limited number of single rooms. These will be assigned to members of our retreat community who are holding on-site responsibilities, e.g. teachers, retreat managers, etc. In addition, retreatants with health issues requiring special accommodation may request a single room. These rooms will be assigned by May 1 according to the greatest perceived need. Select the single room option in the registration form as your first choice and email email@example.com to inform us of your special need and whether you intend to withdraw your application if we are unable to assign a single room to you by May 6. Your registration fee will be fully refunded if you withdraw due to our inability to assign you a single room.
G. Meals are vegetarian. There will be (a) lacto-free, (b) wheat-free, and (c) gluten-free options available upon request. Please be sure to indicate any of these preferences on the application form. While you are welcome to indicate other dietary requests, the cooks may or may not be able to accommodate them. A small refrigerator is designated for storage of retreatants' special dietary needs, including cooked or ready-to-eat animal protein products. Coffee, tea and light snacks are available throughout the day. H. As part of this retreat community, each retreatant will be invited to take on a chore to support the day-to-day functioning of the retreat. Please indicate any limitations (e.g. difficulty standing, exposure to cleaning products, repetitive movements) that might preclude you from undertaking specific "yogi jobs".
• Closing is at noon on Saturday, May 25, 2019. Lunch will be served at 12:00 noon and will end by 1:00 p.m.
• The bulk of this retreat is held in Noble Silence. Daily sessions will integrate silent meditation with Insight Dialogue practice. • Previous meditation experience is helpful, but not necessary. Please indicate your previous experience with Insight Dialogue and any silent meditation practice on the application form. If you are new to Insight Dialogue, please let us know so we can offer you our information for first-time practitioners.
• For more information, please visit our website or email us your questions.
• A letter of welcome with practical details will be emailed to all registrants about a month before the retreat.
• Cancellations will be reimbursed 95% until April 26, and 50% until May 6.
• We are hopeful that all who apply will be able to receive the scholarship assistance they request. In the event that an applicant is prevented from attending because we're unable to fulfill their scholarship request, a full refund will be offered.
• The Cascadia Retreat Team is an all-volunteer team of Insight Dialogue practitioners residing in various communities in British Columbia, Canada and the U.S. Northwest. We take joy in practicing the Dhamma in our working relationships, and invite you to join us in manifesting future retreats and events that bring the teachings of relational Dhamma to this bio-region. The 2019 Cascadia Retreat is the ninth retreat we have organized. If you would like to assist with this or future Cascadia Retreats, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.