The goal of the Peer Health Education Program is to support the well-being of SJSU students. Our primary objective is to recruit, train and organize students to conduct health outreach. We aim to increase students’ awareness and responsible decision-making regarding health and wellness. We welcome all SJSU students’ skills, creativity, questions, ideas and passion.
WHAT IS THE PEER HEALTH EDUCATION PROGRAM?
Peer Health Educators are part of the Wellness & Health Promotion Department of the SJSU Student Health Center. PHEs are students who teach their peers about preventive health through presentations, discussions, panels, workshops, health fairs, and health awareness weeks. PHEs offer health education and outreach programs specific to the six health specialties listed below. Those who become peer educators are placed into TWO specialties in which to train and educate. Each PHE can pick one A specialty and one B specialty.
A SPECIALTIES INCLUDE:
B SPECIALTIES INCLUDE:
Marijuana and Other Drugs
Marketing and Outreach
1. Become a Nationally Certified Peer Educator
2. Earn 3 units (Health Science course)
3. Enhance and develop skills in program coordination, leadership, communication, public speaking and networking.
4. Educate the SJSU community on various health topics and increase knowledge of health and wellness issues.
5. Collaborate with various student organizations and campus departments, including the Student Health Center.
6. Develop concrete skills to enhance your resume.
7. Opportunities to attend customized personal and career development workshops.
8. Opportunity to meet new people and have fun!
1. Attend mandatory Info Meeting/Group Interview on:
Thursday, December 6th from 10am-12pm in MLK 255 OR
Friday, December 7th from 1pm-3pm in the Student Union-Almaden Room
2. Register for HS(3 unit course) - add code given only to those accepted
3. Attend mandatory 2-day Training Retreat: January 26th-27th
4. Attend mandatory weekly HS Training Class and Specialty Meetings (Monday and Wednesdays 12:00-1:15pm)
5. Actively participate in PHE health events throughout the semester
6. Participate in at least 5 programs/events
7. Facilitate at least 2 presentations
8. Cover weekly Wellness & Health Promotion office reception hour
DUE DATE: 12/12/12 @12pm