Please read through the role description below and submit an application if you are interested. We will then contact you to chat more. All applications welcome and encouraged!
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: Must be a Surfrider Foundation Member, volunteer between 1 to 2 hours a week, 2 year commitment, attend chapter meetings and events as scheduled and one Executive Committee (EC) meeting per month. All members of the Executive Committee undergo a background check.
DESCRIPTION - Surfrider Foundation, NYC is seeking a Volunteer Coordinator to manage the chapter’s flourishing community of volunteers. As Volunteer Coordinator you will be focusing on strengthening our volunteer base through recruitment and retention strategy, as well as acting as a primary point of contact for all chapter volunteers. Ideally, you will be a “people person” who loves nothing more than interacting with a community of lively and dedicated volunteers and empowering them to take action and engage with the chapter through a variety of ways:
- Strategize to ensure volunteer engagement continues to grow through recruitment of new volunteers and empowering the existing volunteer base to engage with chapter efforts
- Identify and promote volunteer opportunities, ensuring a consistent and meaningful pipeline of engagements to share with our community
- Make a concerted effort to get to know volunteers, their interests and match them to opportunities
- Respond to all inquiries and communications from volunteers who are looking to get involved, incorporating the chapter voice and values with the end goal of increasing our volunteer base
- Manage the volunteer email list and work with the Email Marketing Coordinator to regularly communicate with volunteers to support the chapters priorities and promote upcoming opportunities
- Bring creativity and initiative to develop innovative ways to grow our volunteer base and ensure a strong retention and satisfaction rate in our community
Chapter Team Support:
- Coordinate with all campaign and program leads to identify volunteer needs and ensure these are met
- Contribute to the chapter’s website, social media and communications to support promotion of volunteer opportunities by working closely with chapter team members running these work streams
- Identify potential opportunities to advance the chapter overall and make the relevant introductions between volunteers and team members to facilitate this
- Work with chapter secretary to maintain chapter calendar and proactively identify workflow
- Support efforts to ensure volunteers are also paid members of the chapter
- Provide quarterly reporting on volunteer data and success metrics
Event and campaign/program support:
- Be present at chapter meetings and events (within reason) to meet volunteers and make face-to-face connections
- Recruit volunteers at meetings and events through speaking engagements and networking
- Provide tabling and event support staffing as needed
- Gain knowledge about the chapter campaigns and programs in order to disseminate to volunteers and help leads identify volunteer opportunities
This role will report to the Co-Chairs and Chapter Coordinator and will also work closely with program and campaign leads on as needed basis.
SKILLS: Advanced written and verbal communication; strong interpersonal skills; ability to engage people and strike rapport; exhibits patience and kindness even under pressure; functions well as a “connector”; able to project manage and clearly articulate instructions; understanding or desire to learn diversity, equity and inclusion principles; self-starter who can work well independently; great time management skills; affinity for instigating growth and performing against success metrics; strong organizational and planning skills; reliable team member with high accountability; takes direction and feedback well; sound judgement and decision making skills; ability to identify and secure appropriate opportunities to further the chapter’s agenda; passion for environmental issues; familiar with Surfrider Foundation NYC vision and voice.
The Surfrider Foundation is committed to fostering a just, equitable, diverse, and inclusive organization for all people who protect and enjoy the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches. Our success and impact depends on learning from our community, standing in solidarity with our allies and working towards a more just future, both for our organization and the environmental movement as a whole.