Referee Quiz - January 2017
Welcome to the Potomac Rugby Referee Society's January Law Quiz. All questions assume the 15's version of the game unless otherwise stated. After you submit your answers you will be able to see your score. You will also have the ability to take the quiz a 2nd time. Questions/Comments? Contact Training Officer, Ken Fraine (
1. Global law trials set for 2017 will be
trialled in the southern hemisphere from 1 January and from 1 August in the north.
trialled in the northern hemisphere from 1 January and from 1 August in the south.
trialled in the southern and northern hemisphere from 1 January.
only applied to international matches.
2. RED 10 kicks the ball forward from the midfield line and as it crosses the plane of the touchline it is caught 2m from the goal line by BLUE 15 who has both feet in the playing area and knocks the ball back into the playing area towards BLUE's goal line. What is the correct call?
Lineout to RED at the 5m line.
Lineout to BLUE at the 5m line.
Lineout to BLUE at the midfield line where RED 10 made the kick.
3. Referee Signal
The referee stops play after the ball becomes dead, indicates time off, and then next makes the following signal. What is this signal?
Early lifting in the lineout
"Get back 10" to the offending team
4. BLACK 7 brings the WHITE ball carrier to the ground in open play, but does not go to ground herself. When may she legally play the ball?
After she releases the tackled player and the ball.
After she releases the tackled player and the ball and moves to her side of the ball
After she releases the tackled player and the ball, moves to her side of the ball, and enters through the gate.
After the tackled WHITE player releases the ball.
5. GREEN 10 is tackled and is on the ground. GREEN 6 enters the tackle area through the gate, stays on his feet, places himself over GREEN 10 with shoulders above hips. BLUE 12 enters the tackle area through the gate from his side and just before engaging GREEN 6, GREEN 6 grasps the ball to gain possession. How does the referee properly manage this?
Instructs GREEN 6 to "release."
Declares "ruck" and "release." Give a PK to BLUE for hands in the ruck by GREEN 6 if he does immediately release.
May declare "tackle only, play on."
Declare "ruck" and allow GREEN 6 to place the ball. Manage the offside line.
6. Verbal abuse by team coaches, team staff or team substitutes directed at match officials or players should not be tolerated and the following protocols should be followed by the referee (select all that apply):
The referee will ask the identified person to refrain from their behavior.
On the second occasion the referee will EJECT the person from the grounds.
Zero tolerance approach should be applied and if the person refuses to leave the referee should request that team’s captain to assist.
Failing compliance the referee may abandon the match.
Restart the match with a penalty for improper sideline behavior to the non-offending team.
7. A ruck has formed in the field of play between GREY 3 and PINK 5 after the GREY ball carrier is brought to ground. PINK 5 then voluntarily leaves the ruck and takes up a defensive position. The ball is in a playable position for the GREY scrumhalf. How does the referee manage this?
The ruck is over, declare "play on."
Manage the offside line, tell the GREY SH to "use it."
Declare "Penalty Advantage" to GREY for PINK 5 leaving the ruck.
Stop play for unsuccessful end to the ruck. Award a scrum to GREY.
8. GOLD 11 is tackled into touch by BLACK 13. During the tackle, the ball is released by GOLD 11. BLACK 13 immediately gathers the ball 2m behind where the ball went into touch (i.e., towards BLACK's goal line) and throws it to BLACK 15. The ball travels 7m away from the touch line and in the direction of the BLACK goal line. The referee
allows play to continue, there is no offense as this is permitted under the Quick Throw-in law.
stops play and gives the GOLD team a choice of throwing in at a lineout or a scrum on the 15m line.
stops play and awards a lineout to BLACK where the tackled player went into touch.
awards a free kick to GOLD for an illegal throw-in.
9. Kick out of the hand
In the video above, the BLUE player kicks the ball out of the hands of the WHITE scrum half. What is the correct call by the referee?
Play on, this action is permitted under law.
Penalty to WHITE.
Free kick to WHITE.
10. Definition of a reckless tackle: A player is deemed to have made reckless contact during a tackle or attempted tackle or during other phases of the game if in making contact, the player knew or should have known that there was a risk of making contact with the head of an opponent, but did so anyway. This sanction applies even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders. This type of contact also applies to grabbing and rolling/ twisting around the head/ neck area even if the contact starts below the line of the shoulders. What are allowable sanctions?
Minimum sanction: Penalty
Minimum sanction: Yellow card
Maximum sanction: Red card
Yellow card only
Red card only
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service