We're so glad you're considering applying to build the navel of our growing event.
This year's theme is Crossroads. You are highly encouraged to draw your inspiration from this theme while designing your creation. Feel free to be as abstract or specific as you so choose, but please take some time to think about how your project can represent one or more of the many interpretations invoked by our theme. Click here to read a detailed description about the 2019 theme: http://www.tohyperborea.ca/2018/11/22/hyperborea-2019-theme-chosen/
APPLICATION DUE DATEFriday, January 4th 2019 before midnight
EFFIGY AWARD DATEFebruary 8th 2019
COMPLETE BUILD PLAN (INCLUDING TECHNICAL DRAWINGS AND BURN PLAN) DUE DATEMarch 1st 2019
Please read through the following information carefully. It is all crucial to the submission of a complete application. Incomplete applications may be disqualified from review. We recommend you save a copy of your answers to this form in case of any technical difficulties.
EXPECTATIONS 1. Effigy must completely burn at the Saturday Evening of the event. Please ensure no part of your structure is to remain.
2. Effigy must be constructed from fire-safe materials. Please make sure you are familiar with the guidelines for building burning art. You can find this information on our website under the Fire section.
Prohibited materials include the following: PaperCardboardPaper macheNatural or synthetic fabric1/8" and 1/4" plywoodPlywood with a veneer layerPlasticWool and leather
Small amounts of these materials placed inside are acceptable, however the presence of large quantities will not as determined by our FAST leads.
3. Do not include transportation costs in your budget. Effigy has a guaranteed spot on the Hyperborea Art Truck.
4. The grant amount is $1500. Should you wish to exceed this amount for your project please consider alternate fund sources such as crowd funding, fundraiser events, digging for gold, wrestling tournaments, bake sales etc.
5. The purchasing and supply of fuel for the Effigy burn is the responsibility of the artist. Fuel costs may be included as part of the construction materials listed in the project budget required with your application. 6. If you don't know all the answers, don't stress. Please reach out! We're happy to guide you through the process and get you all the information you need.
ASSESSMENT CRITERIAYour application will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
1. Artistic Excellence (Design & Philosophy)How original, interesting, relevant, daring, magical, thought-provoking is your idea?
2. Completeness of DesignHow well-thought-out is your project? You should provide enough information for us to imagine your creation and how it comes together.
3. Feasibility & ConstructabilityHow feasible is your idea? Will it stay together? You should have a detailed plan for both the technical construction of your project as well as a schedule to ensure it happens on time, with buffers for potential setbacks.
4. Appropriateness of BudgetYour budget should have reasonable costs that match the value of your materials.
5. MOOP/LNT PlanYour project should have minimal waste production, and a plan for cleaning any possible Matter Out Of Place that could be produced during the installation or strike of your project. This includes a plan for cleanup of ashes and refuse produced during the burn.
6. Risk Mitigation PlanYeah, we get it. Art is dangerous sometimes. But make sure you have a plan to minimize the amount of harm that can come to people interacting with your project.
ASSESSMENT Your application will be reviewed in detail by each individual on our Art Grants Committee. Your project will be scored on a series of questions based on the guiding criteria above and compared to all other applicants. Effigy build differs from regular Art Grants in that experience and skills are considered, but they aren't mandatory. The merit of your application is what will determine the Effigy selected. The more detail you can provide, the better your chances of selection.
LIMITATIONSThe Effigy Grant subsidizes the costs of build materials. It is the same as any of our regular Art Grant categories. Please take a look at our "what we fund" and "what we don't fund" on the website Art Grants FAQs section for a better idea.
DISBURSEMENTAfter being selected, you will receive 75% of your grant. You will receive the other 25% upon completion of the project, submission of your receipts, and having a clean LNT score.
ADDITIONAL SUBMISSION MATERIALSPlease send your supporting documents to email@example.com with the subject line:"Effigy Application: " followed by your project name
Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
Things to remember: BE RADICALLY SELF RELIANT BE RADICALLY EXPRESSIVE BE RADICALLY INCLUSIVE HAVE A DAMN GOOD TIME