2020 Sonia & Celina Sotomayor Judicial Internship Program ("SCS JIP") High School Student Application
PLEASE READ THIS APPLICATION CAREFULLY. NOTE THAT IT IS BEST VIEWED USING GOOGLE CHROME.
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY
1. Be a current 11th grader in High School (a rising 12th grader in the Summer of 2020)
2. Reside in AND attend school in Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, or Staten Island
3. Have a minimum GPA of 82%
4. Be available to attend an in-person SCS JIP Orientation on Saturday, May 16, 2020.
The following five documents must be submitted no later than 11:59 P.M. EST on Friday, February 14, 2020:
1. Online Google Form
2. Student Transcript - Official transcript is strongly preferred; if unavailable before Friday, February 14, 2020, unofficial transcript is permissible
3. Resume, including a list and brief description of extracurricular activities
4. Statement of Interest (500 words or less): Describe how Justice Sonia Sotomayor's life inspires you and your decision to apply to the Sonia & Celina Sotomayor Judicial Internship Program. (This essay is an opportunity for your reader to learn about you. Please do not summarize the life of Justice Sonia Sotomayor.)
5. Teacher Recommendation - A current faculty or staff member at the student's high school may either: a) email the recommendation letter to the student (the student must include the recommendation with their application as described under "Submission Instructions," below); or b) email the letter directly to
in PDF format using the following naming format: "Student's Last Name, Student's First Name - LOR.pdf"
SUBSTANCE OF TEACHER RECOMMENDATION
The recommendation should address the following topics:
1. How has the student demonstrated an interest in this internship program and/or the law, generally?
2. What exceptional qualities does this student possess?
3. How has the student demonstrated an ability to work both independently and in a group setting?
4. How has the student demonstrated outstanding classroom behavior and/or participation (i.e. being punctual, respectful, collaborative, etc.)?; and
5. Why should the SCS JIP Selection Committee select this high school applicant over others?
1. The student shall submit the Online Google Form by clicking the "Submit" button at the conclusion of the application. Students do not need to email a copy of the completed Google Form to
. Note that even if the Online Google Form is submitted, the student will still have an opportunity to edit any answers.
2. The Student Transcript, Resume, Statement of Interest, and Teacher Recommendation (if the teacher emails the recommendation letter to the student) shall be emailed as a single PDF document to
using the following naming format: "Student's Last Name, Student's First Name - Application & LOR.pdf." If the student does not receive the teacher's recommendation letter directly, the School Transcript, Resume, and Statement of Interest should be emailed as a single PDF document to
using the following naming format: "Student's Last Name, Student's First Name - Application.pdf."
***Any documents submitted to the SCS JIP in non-PDF formats (i.e. Microsoft Word, Rich Text Format, Google Document, etc.) may not be considered. Please refer to instructions at
on "How to Convert a Microsoft Word Document to PDF Format."***
FOR ANY QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH SUBMISSIONS, PLEASE EMAIL
. ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED NO LATER THAN 11:59 P.M. EST ON FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2020. INCOMPLETE OR PAPER/MAILED APPLICATIONS MAY NOT BE CONSIDERED. STUDENT APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED ABOUT WHETHER THEY WILL RECEIVE AN IN-PERSON INTERVIEW IN LATE MARCH OF 2020. FINAL SELECTION OF STUDENTS FOR THE 2020 SCS JIP, HIGH SCHOOL DIVISION CLASS WILL BE MADE IN LATE APRIL OF 2020.
Page 1 of 6
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service