The NewGround Professional Change-Maker Program provides the expertise and relationships needed to transform Muslim-Jewish relations and work on issues of shared concern. The experience builds conflict resolution skills, enhances leadership and creates authentic relationships across community lines – all while providing essential knowledge about religion, culture and history. The City of Los Angeles Human Relations Commission recognizes fellowship alumni for their committed leadership to civic engagement and civil discourse. Upon completion of the fellowship, you will be bestowed with a certificate from the City of Los Angeles in appreciation of your commitment to strengthening Muslim-Jewish relations.
This program is for Change-Makers who fall between 25 to 55 years of age.
Applications are due Friday, August 16, 2019.
Fellows are required to commit to all sessions outlined below (locations alternate between a Muslim and a Jewish space near downtown LA)
• Develop and implement a joint Muslim-Jewish project or event to impact the broader Los Angeles Muslim and Jewish communities by June 10th, 2020.
• Upon acceptance, fellows contribute a $350 donation to NewGround to offset the costs of the experience*
* If $350 provides a financial hardship that would make it difficult to participate, please indicate at the end of your application. **No one who is accepted to the program will be turned away for financial reasons.**
* Once accepted into the program, each fellow will submit a signed undated check in the amount of $500. This check will be cashed by NewGround in the event the fellow misses more than 2, 3-hour sessions. Upon the successful completion of the program, the check will be returned to the fellow.
* Required Attendance (WEDNESDAY evenings between 6:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. AND 2-weekend retreats from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon) BECAUSE OF THE NATURE OF THE WORK WE DO TOGETHER ON RETREATS, RETREAT ATTENDANCE IS A NON-NEGOTIABLE PART OF THE FELLOWSHIP.
Dates for the 2019-2020 Fellowship are as follows:
October 30 November 13November 20December 11December 13-15 - RETREAT [Overnight, Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon]January 8 January 22February 5February 19February 26March 11March 25April 3-5 - RETREAT [Overnight, Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon]April 22May 6 (Iftar)May 27June 10June 24 -- Change-Maker Graduation (Wednesday evening 6:30PM-9:30PM)