Collaborate with peers and artists to realize original and self-directed projectsLearn, practice, and develop skills related to critical thinking, self-expression, and art-makingBuild community and engage with other teens, artists, and organizations in the Hudson Valley and beyondIdentify, question, and challenge ideas related to contemporary art
TEENS: 10 high school students from across the five boroughs with diverse interests and perspectives; some make art, some channel their creativity in other ways
ARTIST: 1 artist ally in residence partners with teens to collaboratively determine original projects over the course of the year
VISITING ARTISTS facilitate workshops, participate in discussions, host teens in their studio and gallery spaces, lead critiques, and invite teens to participate in their own projects. Past guest artists include artists Daniel Joseph Martinez, Senga Nengudi, Camille Norment, as well as teens from the New Museum and the Park Avenue Armory.
WHERE DOES IT TAKE PLACE?
Dia Teens is based at Dia:Chelsea, 535 West 22nd Street, New York, New York 10011Past field trips include: Dia sites in New York City; museums including Dia:Beacon, New Museum, Park Avenue Armory, and the Whitney Museum of American Art; and galleries and community spaces including Judson Memorial Church, Dream House, Recess Art, Marianne Boesky Gallery, and Greene Naftali Gallery.
For more, check out instagram: @diateens
Dia Teens is a YEAR-ROUND program. Accepted students commit to participating for a full program year, including the summer and the following school year. Please look closely at the schedule below to make sure that you are able to commit to both before applying.
• Summer Intensive: July 8 – August 16, 2019Monday – Thursday from 11am to 3pm at Dia:Chelsea. Field trips outside of New York City have extended hours.
• Academic Year: October 2019 – June 2020Wednesdays from 4pm to 6pm at Dia:Chelsea. Field trips outside of New York City have extended hours.
• New applicants must commit to participating for one full program year (summer and school year).
• Participants must attend every session unless prior arrangements are made. Please review the schedule closely to make sure that you are available for all of the sessions.
• Dia is an authorized Summer Youth Employment Program worksite; SYEP participants are strongly encouraged to apply. Priority given to applicants currently enrolled in DYCD’s Earn & Learn youth program.
• The application process is competitive, and limited spots are available. Please complete your application thoughtfully, share your ideas, and be yourself!
Please note: Consent of parent or guardian is required for all program participants under 18 years of age.
GROUP INTERVIEW: WEDNESDAY, JUNE 12, 2019 4-6pmAll applicants will be invited to a group interview at Dia:Chelsea; please save this date. You will receive further information via email closer to the date.
Want more information before applying? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.