The projects for the Rails Girls Summer of Code are:
• Considered to be a valuable, offer the chance for a student to significantly contribute
• Is simple, yet challenging enough that a beginner will be able to complete it in a time frame of three months or less
A project can include anything that helps open source like: Bug fixing, implementing small features, documentation, design, etc. Anything that will allow a student to both apply her experience and grow with the challenge.
We invite all who:
• Attended at least one Rails Girls or similar Ruby introduction workshop.
• Expanded their Ruby skills after the workshop in a study group or independently by working on a Ruby project.
• Can spend at least two and ideally three months this summer working on the project.
• Have found another student to pair up with and a coach (we can help with that).
An ideal group to apply would consist of two students (who will both be paid) and one or more coaches (who won't be paid).
Unlike Google Summer of Code, no status as a student at a university is necessary, and there are certainly no degree or age limitations. This initiative is focused on bringing more women into the world of open source. Men are not excluded, however women are given priority.
Projects will have:
1) a mentor, who will act as experts in the project's domain, and provide feedback and direction
2) coaches who will support in the day-to-day work of the students (coaches are developers based in the same city as the student, helping them to accomplish their tasks)
Rails Girls Summer of Code is planned as a global event. Thus, it does not matter where a student or coach lives or where a company is located. We will try to find coaches as near as possible to a students location to avoid the student having to accommodate herself in a different city. Ideally coaches can provide a desk at their own workplace so students can sit next to them, ask questions and get support.
If you want to attend Rails Girls Summer of Code as a student, then please make sure you have read the students page on our website thoroughly in order to understand the application process and what you need to do beforehand. Once you have filled out this form and the application deadline has passed, we will get in touch with you as soon as possible.
Before you fill in this form, please be sure to also read the Student Application Process page: http://railsgirlsberlin.github.io/summer-of-code/students.html.
Rails Girls Summer of Code Team
Rails Girls SoC Community Group: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/rails-girls-summer-of-code-community