Comparing Conservation Policies
Use the Webmap Freedom and Conservation (
) to answer the following series of questions regarding the connection between political freedoms and environmental conservation.
Names (Last, First)
Part 1: Environmental Performance Index - For more information on how scores are calculated check out the EPI 2018 Report at
1. Based on the chart what are some industries or environmental practices that you think might have the greatest negative impact on a country's EPI score? (Explain which practice might have the greatest negative affect and why?)
2. Open up with webmap and come up with three generalizations as to where countries with better EPI ratings (darker), versus where countries with lower EPI ratings are.
3. Try clicking on the United States and explain how the United States compares to other countries in the world.
4. What is one question that comes to your mind based on the information displayed in the webmap?
Part 2: Measuring Freedom - For the following questions you will need to use a combination of the Levels of Freedom layer on the Freedom and conservation webmap (
), and the Freedom House project (
5. Read through the front page of the Freedom House Project's report website (
) and find the metrics that they used to calculate levels of freedom in each country. List 5 of the metrics below.
6. In the content section of the webmap turn on the "Levels of Freedom" layer and then click to the legend to see what the different colors mean. Which three regions of the world seem to have the highest degrees of freedom?
Part 3 - Comparing Freedom to Environmental Protection
For the analysis of the two maps you will either want to practice turning layers on and off in the contents menu, or you can change the opacity of the "Levels of Freedom" layer in the contents menu by hovering you mouse over the layer's title and then clicking on the three dots to open up the Transparency menu. Move the slider right to make the layer more transparent, and left to make it less transparent.
7. What, if any, connection does there seem to be between environmental protection and political freedoms? Why do you think this is? Reference specific areas of the globe to emphasize your argument.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service