Causes of the Civil War Quiz
1. Which of the following characterized slavery in the United States before the Civil War?
A. a lack of freedom and identity
B. long hours of hard work
C. encouragement of family life
D. all of these
2. Before the Civil War the North and South were very different places. Which of the following characterized the South before the Civil War?
3. Prior to the Civil War the North and South were very different places. Which of the following characterized the North before the Civil War?
D. large population
4. Slavery and other political issues such as States’ Rights and tariffs contributed to the start of which of the conflicts below?
A. Civil War
B. Mexican War
C. American Revolution
D. World War II
5. Why did Southerners feel they needed slaves?
A. they needed workers since there were no machines to pick cotton
B. they wanted to covert them to Christianity
C. the U.S. government offered to buy slaves for anyone growing cotton
D. Canada had slaves, so the United States wanted them to
6. Which of the following best describes the "abolitionists"?
A. people who worked to expand slavery
B. people who fought for women's rights
C. people who became immigrants
D. people who worked to end slavery
7. What compromise did Henry Clay propose for admitting Missouri into the Union in 1820?
A. admit Missouri as a free state and allow slavery in other states from that time on
B. admit Missouri as a free state and Maine as a slave state
C. admit Missouri as slave state and ban slavery in all other new states from that time on
D. admit Missouri as a slave state and Maine as a free state
8. What happened as a result of the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act?
A. a slave rebellion began in the border states
B. the 36’ 30” line was extended to California
C. violence between pro-slavery and anti-slavery settlers began in Kansas
D. Steven Douglas issued the Emancipation Proclamation freeing the slaves
9. Which of the following best describes the result of the Dred Scott Decision ?
A. the case made slavery illegal in the west
B. the case made slavery legal everywhere
C. the case made Dred Scott a free man
D. the case settled issues in California and Kansas
10. Which of the books below was written by Harriet Beacher Stow and was a major cause of the Civil War?
A. Uncle Tom's Cabin
B. The Jungle
D. Flowers For Algernon
11. Which of the following were parts of the Compromise of 1850?
A. California would be able to enter the Union as a free state.
B. The Fugitive Slave Law was passed
C. popular sovereignty would be used in all western territories to decide the slavery question
D. All of the above
12. Which famous abolitionist led a raid on the arsenal in Harper’s Ferry Virginia with the hope of starting a slave rebellion?
A. Fredrick Douglas
B. Abraham Lincoln
C. Steven Douglas
D. John Brown
13. The term “secession” refers to which action taken by Southern states before the American Civil War?
A. leaving the Union of states
B. voting to be a slave state or a free state
C. eliminating the Constitution
D. compromising over slavery
14. Which of the following can be said about Abraham Lincoln before the Civil War?
A. His military accomplishments in New Orleans made him a national hero.
B. His debates with Stephen Douglas made him a well known politician who was against the expansion of slavery.
C. His antislavery speeches made him popular in both the North and the South.
D. His was the founder and leader of the Democratic Party.
15. Look at the diagram above. Which of the following completes the diagram?
A. the establishment of the Confederate States of America
B. South Carolina votes to leave the Union
C. the end of the Civil War
D. the South votes to abolish slavery
16. What did Southern states do following the election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860?
A. to save the Union, southern leaders agreed to support the new President
B. North Carolina seceded, followed by Virginia
C. Seven southern states seceded and formed the Confederate States of America
D. Southern leaders called for a new presidential election to be held in the spring
17. The first shots of the Civil War were fired at which of the following locations?
A. Lexington and Concord
B. Harper's Ferry Virginia
C. California Gold Fields
D. Fort Sumter
18. Which of the following abolitionists played a major role in the "Underground Railroad?"
A. Abraham Lincoln
B. Steven Douglas
C. Harriet Tubman
D. John C Calhoun
19. Which of the following politicians was known as "The Great Compromiser" in the years before the Civil War?
A. Abraham Lincoln
B. Steven Douglas
C. Henry Clay
D. Andrew Jackson
20. Which of the following was the first state to secede or leave the union?
A. North Carolina
B. South Carolina
21. Why did most northerners oppose or not like the Fugitive Slave Act?
A. it forced them to help capture run away slaves
B. it allowed slavery in California
C. it allowed slavery in the West and in the North
D. it made slavery illegal all across the country
22. Which two states below were part of the Missouri Compromise of 1820?
A. Florida and Ohio
B. California and Missouri
C. Missouri and Maine
D. Missouri and Louisiana
23. In which of the states below was a mini Civil War fought over slavery before the Civil War began?
24. Using the map above, which state below seceded and joined the Confederate States of America?
25. Using the map above, which state below remained loyal to the Union or the United States of America?
Short Answer: Identify two causes of the American Civil War. Explain how each cause lead to the Civil War.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service