c05 Practice Quiz
On this quiz, score 80% or higher, and receive a +5 bonus on the test.
Your LAST Name:
1. The sebaceous glands are simple alveolar glands that secrete a substance known as sebum. The secretion of sebum is stimulated ________.
by high temperatures
when the air temperature drops
as a protective coating when one is swimming
by hormones, especially androgens
2. Which of the following cells and their functions are correctly matched?
melanocytes - protects cells in the stratum corneum from damaging effects of sun's rays
keratinocytes - provide sense of touch and pressure
dendritic cells - activate the immune system
tactile cells - protection
3. All of the following will help the skin to fight infection but one. Which of the following will have little effect on the skin's ability to fight infection?
More tight junctions between keratinocytes of the stratum corneum.
Greater production of melanin.
Greater production of keratinocytes resulting in more layers of the stratum corneum.
Increased secretions of defensins from skin cells.
4. The arrector pili muscle's predominate, useful function in humans is to ________.
provide warmth by making the hair stand on end
stimulating faster hair growth
assisting in the release sebum from nearby sebaceous glands
preventing germs from entering the hair shaft
5. The dermis is a strong, flexible connective tissue layer. Which of the following cell types are likely to be found in the dermis?
fibroblasts, macrophages, and mast cells
goblet cells, parietal cells, and chondrocytes
monocytes, reticulocytes, and osteocytes
osteoblasts, osteoclasts, and epithelial cells
6. Eyebrow hairs are always shorter than hairs on your head because ________.
they grow much slower
eyebrow follicles are only active for a few months
the vascular supply of the eyebrow follicle is one-tenth that of the head hair follicle
hormones in the eyebrow follicle switch the growth off after it has reached a predetermined length
7. Cells of the stratum spinosum have many interlocking desmosomes that will remain between the cells as they migrate to the stratum corneum. These cell junctions serve the body by ________.
stopping water loss and preventing dehydration
preventing ultraviolet light from penetrating the deeper layers of the epidermis
allowing secretions like sweat or sebum to pass through
preventing mechanical stress or trauma from damaging the epidermis
8. Melanocytes and keratinocytes work together in protecting the skin from UV damage when keratinocytes ________.
accumulate the melanin granules on their superficial portion, forming a UV-blocking pigment layer
maintain the appropriate pH in order for the melanocyte to synthesize melanin granules
provide the melanocyte with nutrients necessary for melanin synthesis
maintain the appropriate temperature so the product of the melanocyte will not denature
9. A light skinned person may appear pink when they become over heated. The best explanation for this is ________.
the heart is pumping faster because the person was probably exercising
blood flow has increased to the sweat glands in order to increased their metabolic activity
the blood vessels of the dermis have undergone vasodilation, bringing a greater volume of blood to the skin
the melanocytes are responding to the heat of the sun and change the appearance of the skin with increased production
10. Which of the following is not one of the functions of the skin?
Holds a portion of the bloods total volume to be shunted (diverted) to other organs when needed.
Conducts endergonic metabolic chemical reactions using the suns energy to initiate vitamin D synthesis.
Gives the body its overall shape, loss of this function can be seen with the drooping of skin with age.
Delivers important information about our environmental conditions to our brains.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service