The NewGround fellowship provides the expertise and relationships needed to transform Muslim-Jewish relations and collaborate on issues of shared concern. The experience builds conflict resolution skills, enhances leadership and creates authentic relationships across community lines – all while providing essential knowledge about religion, culture and history. The City of Los Angeles Human Relations Commission recognizes fellowship alumni for their committed leadership to civic engagement and civil discourse. Upon completion of the fellowship, you will be bestowed with a certificate from the City of Los Angeles in appreciation of your commitment to strengthening Muslim-Jewish relations.
Through skill-building workshops, structured dialogue and in-depth education sessions, those who complete the fellowship emerge with the ability and commitment to build lasting partnership and establish a new code of conduct for the Muslim and Jewish communities. As one fellowship alumna said, the experience “is about exploring what it means to be Muslim and Jewish in America today.”
This program is for changemakers who fall between 25 to 55 years of age.
Applications are due FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 15th, 2017.
Fellows are required to commit to all sessions outlined below (locations alternate between a Muslim and a Jewish space near down town LA)
• Develop and implement a joint Muslim-Jewish project or event to impact the broader Los Angeles Muslim and Jewish communities by May 23rd, 2018.
• Upon acceptance, fellows contribute a $350 donation to NewGround to offset the costs of the experience*
* If $350 provides a financial hardship that would make it difficult to participate, please indicate at the end of your application.
* Purchase a reader as part of the fellowship curriculum for $65.
* Once accepted into the program, each fellow will submit a signed undated check in the amount of $500. This check will be cashed by NewGround in the event the fellow misses more than 2 3-hour sessions. Upon the successful completion of the program, the check will be returned to the fellow.
* Required Attendance (THURSDAY evenings between 6:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. AND 2 Full weekend retreats from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon).
Dates for the the 2017-2018 Fellowship are as follows:
October 19 November 2 November 10-12 - RETREAT [Overnight, Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon]November 30 December 7December 21January 11January 25February 8February 15February 23-25 - RETREAT [Overnight, Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon]March 8March 22April 12April 26May 10May 24