Grade 7 ELA "Presidents' Test"
Directions: Read the article, Telling Plastic to 'Bag It' and answer questions 1 through 7.
1. The Seattle activist's use of the phrase "gut-wrenching" in line 4 suggests that learning about the plastic bags in the whale's belly was
A. physically demanding
B. emotionally painful
C. very informative
D. extremely tense
2. Why does the author include information about plastic bottles in lines 41 through 45
A. to show where the idea for the plastic-bag ban originated
B. to illustrate the conflict between environmentalists and businesses
C. to show how the government is concerned with litter in public places
D. to illustrate a widespread concern with plastic waste in the environment
3. In lines 52 through 58 of the article, the author explains events surrounding a citywide vote. Based on this information, readers can infer that
A. Seattle voters were familiar with high fees
B. economic concerns overrode concern for the environment
C. Seattle city officials knew what the people really wanted
D. leaders in the plastics industry were helpful in explaining a complex issue
4. Which evidence from the article suggests that plastic-bag bans are effective?
A. A city in Texas has eliminated thousands of bags per day.
B. Officials in Seattle have passed a ban on bags.
C. Many cities now ban the use of plastic bags.
D. Many people reuse their plastic bags.
5. The author of the article balances different points of view on the issue of banning plastic bags by including
A. information about plastic-bag bans in Europe and Asia
B. arguments from environmentalists and businesses on plastic-bag bans
C. data from scientists concerned with plastic bags in the environment
D. quotes from people living in American cities where plastic bags are banned
6. Which statement is supported by sufficient evidence from the article?
A. The petroleum industry is fighting plastic-bottle bans.
B. A statewide ban on plastic bags is unlikely to happen.
C. Paying a fee on plastic bags is unappealing to some people.
D. Many Americans prefer paper or reusable bags to plastic bags.
7. The author most likely include "Plastic Bags: By the Numbers" at the end of the article to
A. introduce new facts about plastic bags into the argument
B. compare figures about plastic-bag use across the country
C. emphasize the figures about plastic bags mentioned in the article
D. show that plastic-bag bans can cause factory closures and large-scale job loss
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of East Newark School District.
Terms of Service