Wallace Stegner House - Community Survey
Wallace Stegner House in Eastend, SK has been a residence for artists of all disciplines for nearly 30 years. Eastend Arts Council, which operates Wallace Stegner House (WSH), is currently undertaking a renewal project. Our purpose is to ensure WSH continues to support artists and the greater community in the best possible way.
Eastend Arts Council is interested in your opinion and, where possible, your advice and support.
As a first step, we would ask you to take the time (approx. 12 minutes/39 questions) to fill out the linked survey. Once you have completed it, click SUBMIT.
At the of the survey, If you indicate that you are open to further contact with Wallace Stegner House or wish to assist in its renewal in any way, we will be back in touch in a respectful, timely manner.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
On behalf of Eastend Arts Council's Wallace Stegner House - Part of the Geography of Hope
Over a 60-year career, Stegner wrote over 60 fiction and non-fiction books. He has been called “the dean of Western writers.” Stegner joined the conservation movement in the 1950s.... He wrote his famous Wilderness Letter on the importance of federal protection of wild places. This letter was used to introduce the Wilderness Act, which established the National Wilderness Preservation System in 1964.
"Something will have gone out of us as a people if we ever let the remaining wilderness be destroyed;... if we drive the few remaining members of the wild species into zoos or to extinction; if we pollute the last clear air and dirty the last clean streams and push our paved roads through the last of the silence... We simply need that wild country available to us, even if we never do more than drive to its edge and look in. For it can be a means of reassuring ourselves of our sanity as creatures, a part of the geography of hope.”
-- Wallace Stegner letter to Congress 1960
Marketing & Promotions
1. My knowledge of who Wallace Stegner is:
2. My knowledge of what Wallace Stegner House does:
3. My knowledge of who operates Wallace Stegner House:
4. My knowledge of how Wallace Stegner House is funded:
5. My interest in Wallace Stegner House:
6. Would it be helpful to have more information on Wallace Stegner publicly available in the community?
7. If yes, where should this information be: (Check all that apply.)
Wallace Stegner House
Downtown Market Square
T.rex Discovery Centre
River plateau behind Stegner House where Stegner reencountered wolf willow (former swimming hole)
Town of Eastend office
Eastend Historical Museum
Wallace Stegner House website
8. I would like to see Stegner House work with/coordinate events with other Eastend community interest groups.
9. I would like to see Eastend Arts Council work together with Shaunavon and other surrounding communities.
10. How many Eastend art and cultural events per year do you attend?
Every two months
Couple times a year
11. How would you rate Stegner House’s promotions of its readings and events?
12. Please check your preferred modes of notification:
Friends of the Eastend Library distribution list
Website calendar of events
13. What day of the week would you be most available to attend events? (Please check all that apply.)
14. What time of day is ideal? (Please check all the apply.)
15. What time of year? (Please circle all the apply.)
16. Have you supported Stegner House fundraisers in the past?
17. If so, will you continue to?
18. Have you attended any Stegner House readings/events?
19. If so, will you continue to?
20. Do you think Stegner House benefits Eastend?
21. What benefits do you value? (Check all that apply.)
Artist/writers residents living temporarily in Eastend impacts our local economy
Artists/writers in the school
Artist/writers offer readings/exhibits
Some artists/writers work explores/reflects elements of southwest Saskatchewan
Some artists/writers have moved to Eastend
I believe Eastend is culturally rich because of visiting artists/writers
Missoula Children’s Theatre Program
POTENTIAL OPPORTUNITY TO EXPAND WSH PROGRAMS
Program funding for art series, or festivals, is available though Saskatchewan Arts Board. Wallace Stegner House would be a logical basis for such funding. In order to apply for it, Eastend Arts Council would need to formalize a funding request. For example, the Council might create a Stegner House event-series, which could include a variety of programs. With that in mind, please respond to the next group of questions.
22. What cultural activities might you or your family participate in? (Please check as many as apply.)
Basic drawing classes
Basic painting classes
Intermediate painting classes
Fine art adjudications
Visual arts exhibitions with local content
Children’s art activities
Seniors' art activities
Basic pottery classes
Intermediate pottery classes
Performing Arts workshops
Spoken word events
Cowboy poetry events
History of the southwest
Presentations and walking tours on nature and the environment
23. I support the idea of a funded Stegner House event-series, which might include some of the above listed events.
24. If Eastend Arts council seeks event-series funding, it is important that our local Eastend artists/writers benefit through opportunities to participate in these kinds of events.
25. If these events were funded. I would be happy to participate as a volunteer.
26. If these events were funded, I would be happy to participate in a professional capacity as a paid presenter or organizer.
27. I would like to see our school benefit through structured Wallace Stegner House presentations.
28. I would like to see opportunities for local artists/writers to receive critique and feedback by Stegner House residents.
29. The purpose or mandate of Eastend Arts Council and Stegner House should be: (Check as many as apply.)
To operate as an Artist/Writers-in-residence with related literary and art programs
To provide a quiet, secure and creative space for Artist/Writers-in-Residence
To enrich the cultural life of the community
To further the arts
To contribute to the education and deeper appreciation of the arts
To operate so as to reflect and build upon Wallace Stegner’s legacy as a writer and environmentalist
To engage Stegner House residents with community artists and writers
To offer literary events for the public
To promote the community of Eastend
To offer workshops, art events, programs for youth and community
To offer events that engage the literary community
To maintain a library and resource centre on Wallace Stegner and former residents
To offer tourists and visitors a place to learn about the house and life and contribution of Wallace Stegner
To serve as a place to learn about the history
30. I am interested in becoming a friend/member of Stegner House.
Tell me more
31. I am interested in helping with Eastend Arts Council initiatives.
Tell me more
32. I am interested in making a one-time donation.
Tell me more
33. I am interested in making an ongoing monthly or annual donation.
Tell me more
34. My skills and interests are: (Check as many as apply.)
Finding donors, sponsors, fundraising
Computers, web, graphics
Participating in art events
Hosting events (readings and exhibits)
Maintenance of buildings
Assisting with the annual fundraiser
Time and availability
35. If I could work on a project I was interested in, I could contribute/volunteer:
3 hours per month
6 hours per month
9 hours per month
12 hours per month
No time right now
36. I am willing to work on: (Check all that apply.)
No time right now
37. I work best... (Check all that apply.)
in a small group
In a large group
No time right now
Thank you for taking the time to help in this renewal project.
38. If you know someone else who you feel should do this survey please add their name and email here
Contact Information & Privacy Statement
Eastend Arts Council Inc. has employed consultants to undergo a Renewal Project for Wallace Stegner House. This project involves communicating with stakeholders to obtain information with respect to the residency program.
Eastend Arts Council Inc. respects the privacy of its stakeholders. We pledge to never release your personal information (i.e. name, address, telephone number, or e-mail address) to anyone who is not on the Council, employed, or contracted by us. We will use this information to assess survey results and engage stakeholders further. Anonymized survey results will be published and shared with funding bodies. Participants' individual survey responses shall remain confidential to everyone except the third-party consultation team.
From time to time, Eastend Arts Council Inc. may, with your permission, send you information we feel would be of use to you. For example, if you have identified as wanting to be a volunteer of Wallace Stegner House. If you prefer not to receive this type of information in the future, just let us know by contacting us at
and we will take you off of our mailing list. You may also email us to make any changes to your survey or request that any personal information be deleted.
39. I have read and agree to the privacy statement and am open to further contact from Eastend Arts Council and Wallace Stegner House.
This project supported by
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service