Hops and Heat, a Beer and Chili Festival
Sponsored by Concord Downtown Development Corp and the Historic Concord Preservation Trust
Saturday, November 4th, 2017
1:00pm – 5:00pm
The Hops and Heat Beer and Chili Festival will be held on Barbrick Avenue in historic downtown Concord, NC, and is an event that features things people LOVE about North Carolina...Beer, Music, and Chili!!
This fundraising event is for people to enjoy a friendly, competitive, delicious chili cook-off, as well as sample various local brews, all while listening to some good tunes. Funds raised will go to the Historic Concord Preservation Trust and the United Way of the Central Carolinas.
The Chili Cook-Off is designed to be fun and competitive as individuals or teams compete for bragging rights and trophies.
We would love to see some friendly competition amongst individuals, groups, organizations (i.e. churches, non-profits, first responders, participating breweries...you name it)! If you would like to throw the gauntlet to challenge another competitor, please see the bottom of the registration application.
Winners in each category are chosen through voting by Festival participants.
Thank you for participating! This is a fundraising event that’s designed to be delicious and fun! Friendly competition is good and promoted (who doesn’t like to brag afterwards?), and we hope you’ll relax and have a good time and meet some awesome people!
** THIS IS A RAIN OR SHINE EVENT; there will be no refunds **
DETAILS and SET-UP:
• Chili Cook-Off competitors must arrive, check-in, and complete their set-up on Saturday, November 4th, between 10:00AM – 12:30PM. Check-in location to be announced.
• Each entry will receive tasting cups and containers for voting tickets.
• Winners of each category will be announced from the stage.
• Serving Instructions:
Competitors will serve in cups provided by CDDC.
Participants will keep and reuse their spoon but each sample must be served
from a clean 2oz cup.
• $20 Entry Fee
• Competitor will provide enough chili to fill 2 6-quart crockpots; you must supply your own pot(s).
• Individuals/Teams are to provide their own slow cookers, serving utensils, thermometers, extension cords to access the power provided, and gloves.
ALL SERVERS MUST BE GLOVED.
Tents are optional BUT MUST BE WEIGHTED DOWN and cannot exceed 10x10 in size.
• Teams must read and abide by the guidelines in the NC Health Department regulations as set forth in RULES GOVERNING THE FOOD PROTECTION AND SANITATION OF FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS 15A NCAC 18A .2600
Specifically, Temporary Food Establishment Rules .2665 to .2669.
PRIOR to cooking – Meat must be maintained at 40o F or less.
AFTER cooking, chili must be maintained at 140oF or above
OR cooked chili can be cooled as follows: Within 2 hours from 140oF to 70oF and within 4
hours from 70oF to 41oF or less.
Chili that is cooked, properly cooled, and later reheated for hot holding and serving shall be
reheated so that chili reaches a temperature of at least 165oF for a minimum of 15 seconds.
• Event starts at 1pm on Saturday, so please plan accordingly for the appropriate heating of your chili.
• NO SMOKING while in the Festival area. Shirt & Shoes are required.
• Teams/Individuals are not allowed to sell anything.
• All contestants must stay until the end of the event.
* No early departures are permitted.
• CDDC will sell tickets to the general public for $30 ($20 for chili-tasting-only wristbands) that allow for unlimited tastings.
• CDDC will distribute voting tickets and spoons upon participants' arrival.
• CDDC will provide an adequate supply of tasting cups to each entrant for serving.
• CDDC will provide a table and 2 chairs for entrants to use during the event.
• CDDC will provide a sign for your serving table and a container to collect the votes from the tasters.
• CDDC will provide electricity. COMPETITORS MAY NEED AN EXTENSION CORD TO ACCESS THIS POWER.
• CDDC will provide portable restrooms in the Festival area.
• CDDC will promote the event on their website, social media, and through press releases to media outlets.
*********DEADLINE FOR ENTRY TO CHILI COMPETITION IS FRIDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2017*********
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service