DECADE PLUS Leadership Coach Application 2020-2021
Diverse Educational Community and Doctoral Experience
Partnering in Leadership for Undergraduate Success
Graduate students from all disciplines are encouraged to apply! Interested applicants should be in good academic standing and be prepared to demonstrate their ability to maintain balance of both academic and personal commitments while successfully performing program duties for the full year of the program.
DECADE PLUS is a mentoring program targeting UCI’s Chancellor’s Excellence Scholars for the purpose of providing support and guidance to improve scholarship and retention. Chancellor’s Excellence Scholars are high achieving incoming undergraduate students from across California who demonstrate academic promise and are from diverse backgrounds. In DECADE PLUS, diverse backgrounds includes traditionally defined underrepresented minorities, low socioeconomic families, and/or first-generation.
DECADE PLUS has two overarching goals: 1) Increase retention and timely degree completion of undergraduate Chancellor's Excellence Scholars through graduate and near-peer mentoring with a focus on academics; and 2) Increase and enhance professional development and mentoring skills of graduate students.
DECADE PLUS began as a pilot mentoring project in the 2014-2015 academic year. In 2016 DECADE PLUS was awarded a $1.7 million grant from the U.S. Department of Education, allowing the program to expand and continue to support students through graduation. DECADE PLUS has 4 cohorts of students: freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
Year 1 - Freshmen: Program focuses on adjusting to college and exploring campus opportunities.
Year 2 - Sophomores: Program focuses on discovering meaningful involvements (i.e., research, internships, study abroad, etc.) and balancing priorities.
Year 3 - Juniors: Program focuses on discovering graduate/professional school and beyond.
Year 4 - Seniors: Program focuses on taking steps toward the future, including applying to graduate/professional school and pursuing a career after graduation.
Leadership Coaches will be selected from the pool of applicants who:
• Submit a completed online application via this Google Form
• Submit a professional resume/CV to Jade Turner, DECADE PLUS Coordinator,
via email at
- Applicants who do not submit a professional resume/CV will not be considered for this
• Complete a successful interview (if invited)
• Demonstrate full availability and commitment to attending program trainings, meetings,
and activities (see Leadership Coach Expectations section for more details)
• Demonstrate ability to perform the duties as outlined below
Leadership Coach Benefits
• Gain leadership experiences and professional skills that will be helpful in future roles and
• Gain mentoring skills and experience in individual, team, and group settings
• Engage with the undergraduate students at UCI
• Stipend of up to $1,200/quarter upon successful completion of duties
Eligibility and Requirements
• One year commitment from May 2020 - June 2021
• Completion of Mentoring Excellence Program (MEP)
- If not yet completed, applicants must enroll in the certificate program and
successfully complete it by Summer 2020
• Good academic standing and preferably, past or current experience working with diverse students
• Comfort working with students from various backgrounds, academic disciplines, and/or
with various and potentially dissimilar interests
• Experience and comfort in facilitating difficult conversations with undergraduate
• Experience and comfort working independently and with a team
• Ability to maintain balance of both academic and personal commitments while
successfully performing program duties
Leadership Coach Expectations
• Required attendance at Spring 2020 Trainings
- Friday, May 22, 10:30am-12pm
- Friday May 29, 12-2pm
• Required attendance at Summer 2020 Trainings
- Monday through Friday, August 24 - 28, 1-3pm
• Required attendance at Fall 2020 Trainings
- Monday - Tuesday, September 28 - 29, 1:30pm-3pm
• Required attendance at all program meetings during the academic year
- Full Program Meeting
- Team Meetings
- Individual Meetings
• Required attendance at staff meetings (held biweekly except holidays)
- Mondays, 3-4:30pm
• Timely and appropriate communication with program professional staff and Mentees,
including referrals as needed
• Leadership Coaches can expect to spend an average of 2-3 hours per week during the
academic year on DECADE PLUS
- Amount of time varies depending on the scheduled meetings each week
- Depending on which cohort you are assigned to be a Leadership Coach for,
each meets from 5-6:20pm on:
- Mondays (Year 4)
- Tuesdays (Year 3)
- Wednesdays (Year 1)
- Thursdays (Year 2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 23, 2020 11:59PM
Completed applications must be received by Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 11:59pm in order to be considered. Remember, a completed application includes submission of a professional resume/CV via email to Jade Turner (
Please continue to complete the online application.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of University of California, Irvine.